Non-Habitual Residency Tax Status in Portugal
Non-Habitual Residency Tax Status in Portugal: Ensure your peace of mind - browse client testimonials before selecting a accountant/tax lawyer in Portugal
- Leonel, accountant/tax lawyer in PortugalLeonel graduated with a degree in Accounting (1993) and Economics (1994) and has worked in accounting and finance since then. As well as basic accounting, his considerable experience extends to Financial Analysis & Planning, group reporting, budgeting, profit centre modelling, forecasting, cash management, business development support, auditing, tax & legal compliance, supplier negotiations, KPI control, and business strategy. Leonel speaks English fluently and has Cambridge University Certificates in English (1995) and Advanced English (1996).
Non-Habitual Residency Tax Status
Who is this service for?
This generous tax scheme is open to any EU or Non-EU resident who has NOT been a resident of Portgual during the previous 5 years. Holders of Non-Habitual Resident Status (NHR), for a period of ten consecutive years, are entitled to:
- exemption of income obtained abroad from dividends on business profits, property rental income and real estate capital gains, intellectual or industrial property;
- taxation on income obtained in Portugal at reduced rates in the case of high added value activities (e.g. 20% for employment or self-employment income and 28% for capital and real estate income).
- Pension income (non-governmental) taxed at a flat-rate of 10%
An important difference between this route to residency and the Golden visa is that here you are not entitled to work, but it is perhaps a more accessible option for residency.
Even not being allowed to work in Portugal that does not mean you will not be allowed to work in any other country provided you do not lose Portuguese residence by staying abroad working for longer periods of time.
What does this service consist of?
- An initial discussion with an accountant or tax lawyer highly experienced in making successful applications for NHR status to determine the suitability of the scheme for your particular circumstances
- Process your application for residency in Portugal under the visa scheme most appropriate for you
- We make the application on your behalf to the appropriate governmental bodies, on your behalf, at the correct time ie contemporaneously with the application for residency, to avoid potential rejection of the application due to being considered as already resident
Code of Reasonable Fees
Our clients can expect to receive a quotation that is at or below the recommended guideline prices by our local Professional Body.
Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers abroad.These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your professional.
- Fees as recommended by the Local Professional Body
- Fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Service levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All professionals must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Professionals' proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.