Buying Property in Turkey for Foreigners
Article Published: 01 Dec, 2020, Updated: 13 May, 2021 under Property Purchase
As the real estate market develops in Turkey, the Condominium Law is becoming the center of attention. For those who would like to purchase real estate in Turkey, one of the frequent questions we receive relates to condominium ownership.
What is Condominium Ownership?
Condominium Ownership (“Kat Mülkiyeti” in Turkish) is a particular type of ownership on a terrain that is suitable for separate utilization of multiple divided units as real assets and as savings, depending on the land share.
In other words, it is a private ownership relevant to the land share and to the common areas within the main real estate. As per the Law, independently usable units such as flats, apartments, offices, shops, stores, cellars, storages can be made subject to independent ownership although constructed over a unified right to the land or ownership over the real estate.
What are the obligations as to the Condominium Ownership?
Condominium owners have certain obligations such as:
- Maintenance and protection of the main real estate and responsibility for damages
- Equal participation in the payment of any staff on cleaning, security and gardening
- Use of their independent, additional and shared parts in compliance with the requirements
- Paying the utmost attention not to disturb each other or violate each other’s rights
- Compliance with the terms of the management plan, which is a binding agreement between flat owners regulating manner and intention of utilization of the main building, divided units and of the common areas, rights and obligations of the management and inspection
- Obligation to give permission for necessary works
Buying Property in Turkey for Foreigners – What to do?
It is very important that the foreign companies and individuals who have condominium ownership in Turkey fulfill their obligations or they may have joint liability according to the law, for which counting on expert Turkish Property Law advise will safe time and money on the long term.
You may be interested in the following service...
"I found them to be very reliable and responsive when providing their service."
Abu Bokkor (Jun 29, 2020)
Available in the following locations: Ankara, Antalya, Aydın, Bodrum, Istanbul, Izmir, Kocaeli , Kusadasi, Manisa , Mersin, Mugla.
* If your local town is not listed, a lawyer from our nearest office will be happy to assist you.
1Who is this Service for?
Buying property abroad is a very popular activity but can be fraught with dangers.
Given that the purchase of a property is one of the most important investments that most people will make in their lifetime, it is crucial to be advised by an independent expert.
2What does this service consist of?
- Review of the purchase contract.
- Management of negotiations and counter-offers.
- Verification that the seller is able to pass good title.
- Registry search to ensure property free of any charges or other mortgages.
- Ensure outstanding taxes on the property are up-to-date before transfer.
- Make sure that all items included in the sale (fixtures and fittings etc.).
- Attendance and assistance when signing the deeds of the property.
- Management of negotiations and counter-offers
- In depth information about schools, sports clubs, shops, cultural organisations, etc.
- Payment of stamp duty.
3Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers abroad.These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your professional.
- Fees as recommended by the Local Professional Body
- Fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Service levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All professionals must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Professionals' proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.
Why choose Advocate Abroad?