Contact in Romania
Romania: +40 312 297 728
UK: 0800 098 8033
US: +1 415 651 8449

Divorce in Romania

If you wish to start divorce proceedings in Romania, either you must have got married in Romania or had your marriage certificate recognized in Romania

Two options are available depending on the relationship between the spouses – if they agree or not with the dissolution of the marriage.

  1. If they agree with the dissolution of the marriage, the procedure is very simple and it can be completed in 30 days
  2. If they do not agree, we must go to Court to settle all the details.

The agreement of the two parties is more than enough to get a divorce decree in. It could be achieved with a help of a notary public where both parties should be present. You need to have the appropriate documents with you when you decide to terminate the marriage and we will come with you to the notary public to assist you.

In cases where the spouses do not agree with the dissolution of the marriage, the reasons for the divorce or its terms, the judicial process is the only way in which the marriage can be dissolved. In this case you do not have to be present in Court, you need only give a Power of Attorney (legalised) to a locally registered and regulated lawyer and they will do all the work for you.

Please be advised that the judicial procedure could take some time (not less than 6 – 12 months) if there are no children involved or if there are any marital assets to be shared between the spouses.

If you are currently married to a Romanian citizen, and have left Romania, you may file for divorce in Romania though you would need to appear personally or, by hiring a lawyer, you can have your lawyer represent you throughout the process, without the need to attend Court personally.

You may be interested in the following service...

Client testimonials

"Cezara was very easy to communicate with and was quick to respond whenever I had a query. She grappled with every roadblock professionally and efficiently.

I was very grateful for all of her help."

Sarah Krause (Sep 28, 2021)


Available in the following locations: .

* If your local town is not listed, a lawyer from our nearest office will be happy to assist you.


1Who is this Service for?

For anyone who wishes to initiate, or who needs to respond to, divorce proceedings or other family law proceedings including separation and annulment.

2What does this service consist of?

  • Initial discussion with a specialist lawyer to understand the current position and options for next steps
  • If initiating divorce proceedings, possibility to refer case to an Advocate Abroad solicitor registered by the Law Societies in the UK to provide consultation on whether divorce proceedings may take place in the UK
  • If proceedings in UK not possible or desired, filing of the divorce petition to the local Courts or formal legal response if responding to a petition for divorce in the local Courts
  • Certificate of English law arranged if applying English-law to the foreign divorce proceedings
  • Negotiation of all terms of the divorce settlement
  • Drafting/Review of the divorce agreement
  • Division and distribution of Matrimonial Assets
Support services

3Free Support Services Included

When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers abroad.These support services include:

  • Verification of the regulatory status of your professional.
  • Fees as recommended by the Local Professional Body
  • Fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
  • Service levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
  • All professionals must hold professional indemnity insurance.
  • Professionals' proficiency in English monitored.
  • Continuous quality controls and reviews.

Why choose Advocate Abroad? Message
Established more than
10 years ago
Present in 20
European Countries
Over 30,000 client enquiries
successfully managed