- RosaRosa is a highly-experienced Spanish lawyer who speaks English exceptionally well. She has practised law for over 10 years in Spain and has headed the Advocate Abroad mutually-agreed 'Express' divorce service for 5 years now. Rosa and the other family lawyers in the Advocate Abroad network across Spain, help English-speakers efficiently and effectively.
Are you seeking a divorce in Spain?
Starting at €500 + IVA our service saves you as much as 50% or more of the typical cost, but that is not the only advantage.
Express Divorce Service – Advantages
A major benefit is of course the fact that this service costs approximately half of the standard price but there are several other advantages:
Simplicity – using this service means that you can start the divorce process by simply filling-in and returning a form that is written in English for your ease of use.
Language – Our lawyers speak English and can assist you with explanations of any process as required.
Speed – What’s more, our process is quick, with a divorce agreement available within days of the initial form being transmitted to our office.
Direct – You can avoid the effort and expense of finding and travelling to see a suitable lawyer located in your region. We are available over the phone as required.
Support – The fact that the service is provided without the need to call into lawyers’ offices does not mean that you receive less assistance. You will have continuous access to English-speaking lawyers who can answer any concerns you have.
Meticulous – By using lawyers and procuradores who have a lot of experience dealing with the local family law courts, our clients can be assured of a highly competent and efficient service.
Regardless of your particular circumstances your situation will be managed swiftly and with little fuss.
If you have any doubt or query about the process or the ramifications of choosing one or other option your questions will be answered by a registered, regulated family lawyer. These answers are, of course, provided free of charge.
Family Law Client Testimonials
Client reviews for our family law services, as uploaded by clients directly to the Wufoo survey platform:
- Liezl Pulido, PhilippinesMonday, April 23, 2018Rosa never stopped working very hard, she went way above what she needed to do...she never gave up on me and always did more than I thought anyone would.
I am so blessed I got Rosa to help me I co...uldn't have gotten a better lawyer she's the best.
Thank you Rosa from the bottom of my heart you are a wonderful person, I am so grateful to you.
- Julie Smith, TorrellanoFriday, April 20, 2018I can't compliment my solicitor enough.
From our initial meeting right through to my ultimate divorce (with no unpleasant surprises the entire duration of the entire process), he immediately respo...nded to my many enquiries, always had mine and my daughter's best interests at the forefront of any considerations and was well worth every penny of his extremely reasonable fee.
Excellent value for money, totally approachable and very professional and understanding. I highly recommend him and will continue to retain his services for other matters in the future.
- David Pratt, Alhaurin del GrandeFriday, April 13, 2018Alvaro gives me confidence that he understands the issue and gives me practical solutions. He works rapidly and efficiently. I would strongly recommend his services.
- John Burchell, Arroyo De la MielTuesday, March 20, 2018Alvaro was very professional, helpful and friendly. Understood things quickly. Explained things well in English. Very easy to contact at any time.
- Robert Davies, MallorcaMonday, March 12, 2018Very supportive and clear on producing a suitable divorce settlement. Efficient, understanding and professional.
- Adam Clark, TenerifeFriday, March 09, 2018Oliver was very professional. He explained things very clearly and honestly at all times and in the end we got the best result possible in my particular case.
Many thanks to him for his high level ...of service.
- Holly, LanzaroteFriday, February 23, 2018The divorce process could have been explained more clearly and accurately so that a more realistic time for completion can be attained.
- Tamara Malcolm, MallorcaTuesday, February 20, 2018Rosa was and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Her advice was excellent and i will definitely be using her expertise again in the future.
- Eric Van Der Straeten, BelgiumFriday, November 17, 2017Mr. Sempere Gelardo was a pleasure to work with. This lawyer has an understanding of difficult matters that surpasses most of his colleagues.
He replied to my demand the next day and in fluent Engl...ish assisted me in the case I presented to him.
His professionalism, together with a lot of empathy, gave me a feeling of security. The results were of the same high standard.
I can only thank him and would recommend him to anybody who is in need of legal assistance in the region of Alicante.
- S Smith, EsteponaTuesday, September 12, 2017Being English in Spain and fighting a child custody and divorce case here is extremely difficult.
I originally had an only Spanish speaking lawyer and after 2 years of everything taking ages inclu...ding just responses from my lawyer plus with the language barrier I decided to make the difficult decision to change my lawyer to Alvaro.
Immediately and quickly Alvaro got an understanding of the case and was able to advise me. I was now able to understand myself what was going on and he worked to a new pace that had previously been lacking and that was needed to win the case.
Communication and response from Alvaro was always immediate and his recommendations were always correct. He is very professional and approachable person, and a very good lawyer. With his help and guidance I won the case and without any hesitation I would highly recommend Alvaro as a lawyer to anyone.
- Aaron L, OregonWednesday, August 02, 2017Very satisfied with the service provided. Helen was knowledgeable, helpful and responsive to communication. Will definitely use again.
- Maya M, CanadaMonday, July 31, 2017My overall experience with Rosa was a positive one.
Value for the money? Yes.
In my opinion, Rosa is a very knowledgeable and professional lawyer, who is able to not only understand the situat...ion at hand, but also suggest different approaches and customized solutions for unique, non-standard situations, which was the case with me.
And for that I am really happy and grateful to have worked with Rosa, and wish her the very best in the future.
- N. Gardiner, MijasFriday, June 16, 2017Rosa was value for money, really easy to deal and very efficient. Highly recommend.
- D slocombe, SpainFriday, May 19, 2017Jose is very friendly and understanding. I am very satisfied and I would you use the same lawyer again in the future.
- KSC, IrelandTuesday, October 18, 2016She was very helpful, always happy to assist. I was very satisfied with the service.
- Elena, AustraliaTuesday, June 14, 2016Rosa was straightforward, friendly, polite and cheap. I was very satisfied and I definitely would use the same lawyer again in the future.
- Kate Godbehere, GranadaThursday, February 25, 2016From the outset, Rosa was extremely professional, approachable, efficient and competent. Her level of English is extraordinary, something very much appreciated as it made life easier for me during an ...inherently difficult time.
Her correspondence was always relevant, detailed, simply and clearly explained and expressed. Rosa was kindly, matter of fact, calm, patient and always reassuring.
Her pro-active, intelligent, thoughtful and knowledgeable advice helped very much during a particularly delicate and worrying stage of the process.
- Peter Gural, La LineaThursday, October 08, 2015What I liked about this service: Value for money.
The level of professionalism and excellence in service was not compromised in the reasonably low fee charged for the service.
All details were... explained in a simple format that an ordinary citizen could understand, sparing the bureaucratic procedure that only lawyers can understand.
- Elena Todd, AlmoradiFriday, July 18, 2014Our lawyer was very understanding of our situation, and took a lot of time to strategise for the best possible outcome.
Her passionate performance in court exhibited a heartfelt commitment to our ...case.
Her fees were very reasonable and she was willing to consider payment terms at difficult times.
I strongly recommend her and will use her again in the future.
- Christine B., SpainThursday, July 03, 2014Very fast and comprehensive responses to all my queries.
Always available via email and telephone.
Very reasonable fees.Extremely helpful and thorough. Polite, perfect English. Absolutely prof...essional.
How does this Service work?
The service is designed to be straightforward and easy to understand. It works as follows:
1) Download the application form on this page and simply fill-in and email it back to us.
2) Our lawyers will use the information you provide on the form to create a divorce agreement, in Spanish and translated in to English.
3) You then receive the draft divorce agreement and confirm that it accurately represents the agreement between the spouses.
4) Upon payment of our fee the divorce agreement is passed to the local procurador who will submit it to the relevant court together with other required documents.
5) Both spouses then ratify the divorce agreement.
This really is a simple process made even easier by having all of the forms prepared in English as well as advice available from English-speaking lawyers.
Are there any restrictions?
No. The spouses simply need to be in agreement to both getting a divorce and the terms of the divorce. An application form is used to guide you to agree each of the necessary terms.
What if there are children of the marriage?
A section of the application form is dedicated to dealing with any children of the marriage and is designed to manage their custody, future financial needs as well as visitation rights.
Once included in the divorce agreement and approved by the judge, the terms of the agreement become enforceable.
What about the marital home?
Once again, a section of the form is dedicated to dealing with resolving the future use, enjoyment and ownership of any marital assets including the marital home.
Often divorcing spouses request that their half of the property is transferred to the other in order to avoid property transfer tax which can cost up to 8% of the value of the interest being transferred.
Some people are happy to transfer their interest in the property for free in order to avoid future mortgage liabilities. However, this may well have important income tax implications for the person receiving the interest and will requires the agreement to be drafted carefully in order to minimise or avoid.
Where is this service available?
The service is available across Spain and the islands and indeed worldwide though one of the spouses should be resident in Spain.
If living outside Spain must I return to arrange the Divorce?
Ratification of the divorce agreement before the judge normally requires the presence of both spouses.
However, ratification may be carried-out by executing a power of attorney so that the ‘procurador’ may ratify the agreement in court on your behalf.
One of the benefits of this service is that you can manage the preliminary matters via email and post In this way you can avoid the necessity of travelling to Spain to ratify the divorce.
Can we use this service if we are NOT Spanish nationals?
As long as at least one of the spouses is currently resident in Spain and the last matrimonial home was in Spain then the Advocate Abroad reduced cost divorce service can be used.
If the marriage took place outside Spain it will be necessary to arrange a legalised and translated marriage certificate and, if there are any children, legalised birth certificates too.
Is the application form complicated?
Not at all.
The form simply consists of a number of sections that allow you to provide us with details necessary to complete the divorce agreement and divorce petition.
There are extensive explanatory notes contained in the form that explain exactly the information that you need to include as well as where you can find that information where necessary and also the email address to send it to once completed.
The form is provided in word format to make it easy to complete and return by email. You can download it here.
The cost of this service starts at €500 + IVA. This covers the costs of a bilingual Spanish lawyer assisting clients with arranging all of the necessary documentation and drafting a Divorce Agreement in both Spanish and English, and submitting all papers to the Procurador.
The Procurador is a separate, independent legal representative that you are required by law to use. Advocate Abroad can arrange the services of a Procurador on your behalf, having established relationships with Procuradores across Spain, most of whom speak a high level of English. The fees charged by a Procurador are not included in the Advocate Abroad fee as they are determined by each Procurador individually. Typically their fees range from around 90 € (the majority) to 200 € (in one or two locations).
If you need to include any formal distribution of the matrimonial assets the service is available at an additional cost of: €100 + IVA. Please note that changes to the property registry necessary to reflect ownership changes will incur a government charge.
We can also include the arrangements to be made in respect of any children of the marriage, again at an additional cost of €100.
A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the total cost is payable at the beginning of the process before the lawyers draft the divorce agreement.
How to Start The Process
You can contact our English-speaking support team to request the form to initiate the process or simply download the application form directly from this web page.
If you believe that you will not be able to reach agreement on the terms of the divorce and will need to pursue a contentious route to divorce, please see more details of our contentious divorce service.
If you would like to speak to our support team for an informal chat regarding either process you can do so by telephone, Skype , email or instant chat. We are available weekdays during normal office hours.