Inheritance Tax in Turkey
Article Published: 21 Dec, 2018, Updated: 13 May, 2021 under Inheritance
The main laws governing inheritance in Turkey are the Turkish Civil Code, Law on Code of International Private and Procedural Law, and the Code of Civil Procedure.
The main principle regarding jurisdiction over real property is that property is regulated by the laws where it is located. Turkish law is therefore the applicable law governing ownership and inheritance of real property located within the boundaries of the Republic of Turkey.
If the estate of the deceased includes fixed property assets in Turkey, then Turkish Law is applied, whereas movable assets are subject to the deceased’s national law.
Religion or nationality has no effect on jurisdiction concerning inheritance issues; however if a citizen of a country with which Turkey does not have reciprocity inherits real estate in Turkey, then the property is devolved and the real estate is liquidated.
The Court of Peace and Court of First Instance are the principal courts which hear lawsuits on inheritance issues. The length of time taken to complete the proceedings is unpredictable, since it depends on the complexity of the case and the caseload of the court.
You may be interested in the following service...
"Very helpful to me , did everything I asked her to do ! Amazing. Would highly recommend!!!"
Naomi Mcinerney (Apr 14, 2022)
Available in the following locations: Ankara, Antalya, Aydın, Bodrum, Istanbul, Izmir, Kocaeli , Kusadasi, Manisa , Mersin, Mugla.
* If your local town is not listed, a lawyer from our nearest office will be happy to assist you.
1Who is this Service for?
For those who need to arrange for an estate abroad to be transferred to beneficiaries under a Will or via intestacy
2What does this service consist of?
- Assistance obtaining a legalised copy of the death certificate.
- Arrange a legal copy of any existing will.
- Verification of the existence of any life insurance policies.
- Power of Attorney to avoid excessive travel costs
- Inheritance Acceptance Deed drawn-up with the public notary.
- Payment of Inheritance Tax at the office.
- New titles in the inherited assets are inscribed in the relevant registry
- Simultaneous sale or disposal of assets if required (please request quotation).
3Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers abroad.These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your professional.
- Fees as recommended by the Local Professional Body
- Fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Service levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All professionals must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Professionals' proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.
Why choose Advocate Abroad?