- DavidDavid is an experienced English-speaking lawyer in Madrid. He has provided expert legal advice to clients in Madrid for the past 15 years in relation to Property transactions, Contractual disputes, Inheritance matters, Family Law issues as well as business and tax affairs.
Buying a Car in Spain to Export
Nowadays, buying a vehicle in Spain, second hand or classic (defined as a car at least 25 years old) , in order to transfer it abroad can be a great option. Especially classic cars, whose prices are very accessible in the international market due to the delicate Spanish economic situation and a presumed devaluation of the euro against the dollar. These circumstances contribute to an oversupply which has pushed prices down. For instance: A 1980 Mercedes Benz in perfect condition, can be purchased for 6,000 euros, as an American client recently arranged with the assistance of Advocate Abroad to deal with the legal technicalities.
It is important to have somebody that you would trust to make an evaluation of the car in situ , and then the steps are easy, and not expensive, from the purchase to the port or courier that will move the car to its destination.
1.- See the offer, make the contract, pay the money
The first step is obviously to place an offer and agree a price with the owner. Prices can always be negotiated. In Spain the seller normally does not expect the buyer to pay the asking price. At this point it is necessary to have an intermediary in Spain who can confirm the car is in good condition, and to act as representative in order to make a Private Retainer contract and to ensure payment. Advocate Abroad provides this service for a reasonable price on a regular basis. Here the point is to establish trust on the part of both parties – the buyer and the seller. The purchase is typically made in two steps: first a retainer or deposit is paid, to take the car off the market, and the second is the remaining balance, once the car is de-registered and ready to be exported.
2.- Deregistering the car
The real importance of the representative of the buyer in Spain comes from the unique characteristics that tend to be associated with a purchase to export, i.e. a purchase on behalf of a non-resident buyer.
In this particular case, the purchase is not immediately registered in D.G.T (Dirección General de Tráfico, – The national traffic authority) as typically would be the case. This is because the buyer does not belong to the Spanish drivers database. In this case the car must be de-registered, and for the purposes of Spanish authorities remains listed as ‘having no owner’ from the purchase until it arrives at it’s the destination abroad. This is why it is necessary to have somebody on the ground. Advocate Abroad does this ensuring that the deregistration takes place in the appropriate way and prepares for the transportation to the destination.
So, once ensured the purchase, the first step it is to process the deregistration by Export (“baja por exportación”) that has a tax of €8.30 unless the car is a classic-car, in which case it is exempt from this fee.
To de-register a vehicle that is to be exported will require the following documentation in the Traffic Authority (DGT):
- Identification of the persons concerned (seller): Individuals: Official document proving the identity of the holder (ID card, Spanish driving license, residence card, passport plus Foreigner Identification Number) address. Companies and other Legal entities: tax identification card of the company and proof of the representative and identity of the firm.
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- ITV card (this always comes with the car documentation)
- Duly completed application for de-registration (form delivered in the Traffic Department)
- Tax (unless classic cars)
With these documents, the DGT / Traffic authority will proceed to cancel the registration certificate, making a notation in it, and returning it to the person concerned with the ITV card.
These two documents (Certificate named “Baja por Exportación” and ITV card, must be delivered to the buyer of the vehicle, as you will need these for registration in the country of destination.
2.- Finding an appropriate courier, and shipping the car home
So, after making the purchase of the vehicle, paying for it (through a trusted agent in Spain like Advocate Abroad) and de-registering the car, the final step is to choose a good courier to take the car and ship it to the destination. If the car is going to be shipped to the United States, the Port of Sagunto is a reasonably priced and quick option, with plenty of couriers shipping every week.
Finally, as is always the case when purchasing a car, it is always advisable to deal with someone you trust, and of course, to have some luck with a second-hand car is never unwelcome!
Below is a list of recent reviews received from our clients, obtained via the Wufoo client survey platform:
- Pernilla, LondonFriday, April 13, 2018We had excellent service from Esther at Advocate Abroad when buying a property in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.
Esther speaks both Spanish and English, and is very friendly, professional and genuine. ...She took care of the whole purchasing process and explained all the steps for us, including giving advice on Spanish bank account, NIE numbers etc.
We are very pleased with all the help we have received and can highly recommend Esther. Thank you so much!
- David Pratt, Alhaurin del GrandeFriday, April 13, 2018Alvaro gives me confidence that he understands the issue and gives me practical solutions. He works rapidly and efficiently. I would strongly recommend his services.
- ESP, LondonWednesday, March 28, 2018Cristina was extremely helpful, she couldn't have done more. Her English is sufficient and I would definitely recommend her to friend.
- L Marshall, LondonWednesday, March 28, 2018Rosa was excellent. Very efficient and professional.
Responsive and always available. Extremely helpful - we did not understand the process and she guided us through.
We would not hesitate to ...recommend her.
- Phil Loughton, Las Lagunas de MijasTuesday, March 20, 2018Alvaro was extremely helpful and the simple process I needed managed was dealt with quickly and efficiently. I would certainly recommend him to friends.
- John Burchell, Arroyo De la MielTuesday, March 20, 2018Alvaro was very professional, helpful and friendly. Understood things quickly. Explained things well in English. Very easy to contact at any time.
- A. Kavanagh, GlasgowThursday, March 15, 2018Miguel provided a great service and fully explained to me about the procedures with tax & business registration. My emails and questions where always answered straight away with an immediate response ...or solution.
Very helpful and very friendly I would definitely recommend to anyone considering using Advocate Abroad
- Robert Davies, MallorcaMonday, March 12, 2018Very supportive and clear on producing a suitable divorce settlement. Efficient, understanding and professional.
- A.Kavanagh, GlasgowFriday, March 09, 2018Rosa was exceptional at helping me setting up my business abroad.
This was a big move for me and Rosa fully explained everything to me in detail so I had a full and clear understanding of the lega...l side of things as well as always promptly responding to any emails or questions I had.
I couldn’t of asked for a better lawyer and I would 100% recommend Rosa to anyone who is deciding to move abroad.
Great service could not be happier.
- Adam Clark, TenerifeFriday, March 09, 2018Oliver was very professional. He explained things very clearly and honestly at all times and in the end we got the best result possible in my particular case.
Many thanks to him for his high level ...of service.
- Patrick Martel, CanadaWednesday, March 07, 2018For being in another country and all our back and forth communicating over emails .. I thought Rosa did a brilliant job. Thankfully she was able to help where no one else was willing ..
- Robert Scott, UKWednesday, March 07, 2018First class service. Rosa's professionalism, advice and patience were all exemplary! Keep up the good work. Will certainly recommend the service to friends!
- Martina, PlymouthMonday, March 05, 2018Erardo was fantastic and helped immensely during a very difficult situation.
He consulted with my lawyer in the UK and explained to her what needed done. Without him the situation would not have be...en resolved. He was very understanding and I would have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending him. Outstanding.
- M Pearce, MarbellaMonday, March 05, 2018Miguel was extremely helpful, he couldn't have done more:
Always kept us updated on the progress of our purchase
Always responded to emails in a professional and timely manner
Always explained to... our understanding all aspects of the legalities about the purchase
Very approachable,courteous and professional
So much better to deal with than UK property lawyers!
- Tony, LondonWednesday, February 28, 2018The service I received from nada was very helpful.
The tasks were completed to the highest standard and would definitely use her services again in the future. All correspondence was received in a ...very timely manner. Highly recommended.
- Holly, LanzaroteFriday, February 23, 2018The divorce process could have been explained more clearly and accurately so that a more realistic time for completion can be attained.
- Julia Alcock, Puerto Rico, Gran CanariaThursday, February 22, 2018Esther was very friendly and approachable. She was professional and answered any questions I asked. We would definitely use her again in the future.
- Tamara Malcolm, MallorcaTuesday, February 20, 2018Rosa was and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Her advice was excellent and i will definitely be using her expertise again in the future.
- Nick Nicolaou, OviedoTuesday, February 20, 2018Very Satisfied with Miguel's work. He was very helpful and we would definitely use his services again in the future.
- Gavin Jones, UKMonday, February 19, 2018It was a real pleasure to have Miguel working on my behalf to file my non-resident taxes. He was extremely helpful, gave reassuring advice and I had a high level of confidence in the transactions.
...Miguel is now acting as my fiscal representative in Spain and I plan to continue to use his firm's services for all my tax requirements.
- Martin Hickey, BenidormSunday, February 18, 2018Very friendly and knowledgeable and professional.
Juan explained the plus and the negatives on various subjects and allowed us to make up our own mind.
I have already recommended him to our fri...ends.
- Andrew Bullen, UKFriday, February 16, 2018Rosa was very professional at all times when dealing with me. Her English was second to none and she always kept me informed of progress via email promptly.
I wouldn't hesitate to use Rosa in the ...future for any legal issues I have.
- Tamara Reeves, AustraliaThursday, February 15, 2018Anna was very knowledgeable and had prior experience dealing with English clients. She spent a lot of time explaining information and I was never rushed.
I have continued to use Anna since my firs...t meeting as I trust her judgement and know that she will look after my best interests.
- Ali Hashemi, AlicanteWednesday, February 14, 2018Rafael was extremely helpful, accommodating and understanding. He couldn't have done more.
- Alan W T Duguid, Montserrat, ValenciaWednesday, February 14, 2018Ramon was very helpful and answered my questions and explained the legal process that I was enquiring about.
I would liked to have seen a follow up email detailing what was discussed to ensure that... my understanding and recollection of the meeting was completely correct.
- Keith Round, La Herradura, SpainMonday, February 12, 2018The advice provided was clear, easy to follow and allowed me to secure the required documentation from the Spanish Authorities quickly.
Rosa was very proactive in following up when I was delayed in... providing inputs and always delay with any questions promptly.
I would not hesitate to recommend Rosa to friends and colleagues and I would use her again in the future
- GWE, IrelandThursday, February 08, 2018My lawyer Nada was extremely effective to make the case and get a result!
- Chris Jones, CambrilsTuesday, February 06, 2018Regardless of the situation Emma, looked for the best possible way to assist under the circumstances. Emma was very approachable and professional.
- Richard Quick, EsteponaSunday, February 04, 2018I was particularly impressed by Miguel's approachability & professionalism, excellent service!
- Stephen Grundy, AlicanteThursday, February 01, 2018Jose-Antonio's services are exemplary. Very satisfied and would definitely use this lawyer again.