- VivianaViviana is a highly experienced lawyer who leads a law firm that has provided expert legal advice to English-speakers for over 30 years. Specialties include property conveyances, inheritances, family law, contract breach, criminal law, negligence claims and immigration law.
Recently enacted legislation permitting the conferral of Spanish nationality on Sephardic Jews came into force on October 15th, 2015. Law 12/2015 establishes a new process by which all those who can prove that they are descendants of Sephardic Jews and who have a special connection with Spain may obtain Spanish nationality.
The application can be made online via the website of the Ministry of Justice and, as well as the conditions just mentioned, must demonstrate an understanding of the Spanish language. to level A2 or higher, (being exempt those applicants who are nationals of Spanish-speaking countries) as well as Knowledge of the Spanish Constitution and Sociocultural Practices.
The legislation is considered to be an act of atonement for the expulsion of Jews from Spain at the end of the 15th century. These Jews were known as Sefardí in the Hebrew tongue, meaning ‘Spanish’. They were given the option of conversion to Christianity or expulsion from their country. The descendants of the Sephardic Jews that were originally expelled are now believed to be numbered in the millions.
Under this new procedure, it is understood that the circumstances required for Sephardic foreign nationals to obtain Spanish nationality by naturalization include proof:
- That they are descendants of Sephardic Jews, and
- That they have a special bond with Spain, even though they do not have legal residence here.
This new procedure avoids that by acquiring the Spanish nationality, the applicant must renounce their previous nationality ie they may have dual nationality.
Proof of Sephardic Origin
The legislation lists a number of documents to prove the status of Sephardic origin, not all of them are mandatory but the more that are presented the better. Also other documents proving Sephardic origin may be presented even though they are not on the list.
A certificate issued by the President of the Permanent Commission of the Federation of Jewish Communities in Spain, which can be ordered on the website of the federation: https://certificadosefardies.fcje.org The cost of this certificate is 50 € (+VAT).
A certificate issued by the President or someone in a similar capacity of the Jewish community in the area of residence or hometown of the interested and certificate of the competent rabbinic authority legally recognized in the country of habitual residence of the applicant.
In the case that the certificates issued by the President or similar charge of the Jewish community or by the competent rabbinic authority in the area of residence or hometown are not accompanied by the certificate issued by the Federation of Jewish Communities of Spain, the Law provides alternative methods to prove the applicant’s suitability by providing duly authorized, apostilled or legalized and, if necessary, translated into Spanish by an official translator, all of the following documents:
- A copy of the original statutes of the foreign religious entity. A partial copy which contains the data that identifies the document itself, data of establishment, functioning, form of representation and purposes of the entity, will be considered sufficient
- Foreign entity certificate that contains the names of those who have been appointed as legal representatives.
- A certificate or document which proves that the foreign entity is legally recognized in its country of origin.
- A certificate issued by the legal representative of the company attesting that the signatory Rabbi holds, effectively and currently, such status under the requirements set out in its statutes.
- Other documents that help to prove the status of Sephardim of Spanish origin: the use of the Ladino language, certified by a competent entity or where the surnames of the applicant are Sephardic of Spanish lineage.
- Unequivocally Sephardic surnames of Spanish origin: proving the family genealogy or that their Sephardic surnames come from the Sephardim expelled from the kingdoms of Castile, Aragon and Navarra or forced to convert to Christianity, since 1492.
Accreditation of Special Links with Spain
The evidence of the applicant’s special relationship requires passing an assessment test knowledge of language, culture and Spanish customs, managed worldwide by the Cervantes Institute. The applicant must show that they have passed the tests of both language and socio-cultural knowledge, DELE A2 and CCSE Applicants from Spanish-speaking countries are exempted from the language test and the steps can be carried-out electronically.
The applicant may demonstrate that they have a special bond with Spain by any or all of the following:
- Transcripts of Spanish history and culture issued by official or officially recognized private institutions.
- Proof of knowledge of the Ladino language or “haketía”.
- Inclusion of the petitioner or his direct descent in the lists of Sephardic families protected by Spain, that, with regard to Egypt and Greece, referred to in Decree-Law of 29 December 1948, or from those who obtained their special naturalization via the Royal Decree of 20 December 1924.
- Blood relationship of the applicant with a person referred to in letter c).
- Realization of charitable, cultural or economic activities involving Spanish persons or carried-out in Spanish territory as well as those developed in support of institutions oriented to the study, preservation and dissemination of Sephardic culture.
- Any other circumstances that clearly establish special links with Spain.
The required documentation must be submitted electronically with the application. Thus the notary makes a preliminary assessment and avoids unnecessary displacement by the applicant where they have not fulfilled the requirements for granting of Spanish nationality.
The accreditation of the notorious fact concerning the status of Sephardic origin is conducted before a Spanish Notary, appointed by the General Council of Notaries taking into account the preferences expressed by the applicant.
The applicant must personally attend the appointed notary, in Spain. Only in case of minors or applicants with legal capacity modified are can be replaced the personal appearance by its legal representative.
Those interested should formalise their request no later than three years after the entry into force of the law (October 2015), although this deadline may be extended an additional year if so decided by the Government, according to the Ministry of Justice.
Requests for acquisition of Spanish nationality covered by this Act shall be resolved within a maximum period of twelve months from the date when it had been entered into the Directorate General of Registries and Notaries. After the expiry of the above period, where there is no express decision, requests will be understood to have been rejected by administrative silence.
After being notified of a favorable decision , the applicant has one year to complete the acquisition of nationality before the civil registrar. If not, the decision to grant of citizenship ceases to be effective and would, if necessary, lead to re- examining the case in its entirety
Below is a list of recent reviews received from our clients, obtained via the Wufoo client survey platform:
- Darren & Gemma Nesbitt, ValenciaTuesday, September 11, 2018Inmaculada has been of excellent service to us, as a family and in helping to set up a business in Spain. She has now undertaking several project for us and has delivered high quality on all of them. ...Perfect service!
- Patsy Valentin, GranadaTuesday, September 11, 2018Extremely accommodating and highly professional and very pro active. Excellent result and service. Highly recommended.
- Jovie, MalagaWednesday, September 05, 2018My lawyer Alvaro was extremely helpful and very efficient. I would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Albert Roldan, FranceTuesday, September 04, 2018Alfonso was extremely helpful, particularly since we requested a quick turnaround for the 18 documents needing to be translated from English and French to Spanish.
He was fluent in our phone conver...sations and email correspondence, he never misunderstood what our requirements were. He was was clear in explaining how this process works and what the price included.
I would highly recommend him to anyone needing these services.
- David Grundy, UKFriday, August 24, 2018Jose was very polite and we received an excellent service from him. Nothing was to much trouble and his communication was 2nd to none. Highly recommended!
- Mario Klappholz, Miami, FloridaThursday, August 16, 2018Inma was very helpful, always happy to assist. I particularly appreciated her professionalism. I would not hesitate to recommend her services to friends.
- Daniel Spitzhorn, SpainTuesday, August 14, 2018Miguel in Oviedo helped us during the process of buying a flat in Asturias. He was just brilliant!
- Tracey Iliffe Bradley, UKTuesday, August 14, 2018Rosa dealt with everything efficiently and promptly and went beyond our expectations by helping us to open a Spanish bank account and deal with other minutiae.
- Erslaan Ahmed, BangladeshFriday, August 10, 2018Gave very good advice and provided an excellent solution. Inma is very professional in her work. I would recommend her services to friends.
- John Ryan, Derby, EnglandWednesday, August 08, 2018A perfect relationship between client and professional. Nothing was too much trouble.
Went over and above his job and more. I would only use his services if I need legal services. I were very lucky... to find Jose first time round.
Thank you jose
- Robert Brownlee, Almeria, SpainWednesday, August 08, 2018Everything was as it should be: excellent. Had to pay by bank transfer and maybe would have liked another means of paying.
- Delbecq, FranceFriday, August 03, 2018Cristina, is extremely professional, fast, responsive understand and explain well, she always found appropriate solutions and provide good advices.
She know how to deal and negotiate, and look self...-confident, and make you feel less stress, you can trust here.
The value for money is good, and she is up to date with technologies (mail/google app etc… very practical).
It was a pleasure and a great luck to found here and have here at my side for my case. For anything, i should need a lawyer she will be the one I’ll work with
- Mohamed Nasir, EnglandMonday, July 30, 2018My lawyer Carmen is a nice lady ,very professional. I would like to be her client again if I need a lawyer in the future.
- Michael Harrison, Urb. Camposol Mazarron MurciaFriday, July 27, 2018Maria was extremely helpful and professional, and put herself out to satisfy my needs.
I contacted her on a number of occasions and always had very good advise on costs etc.
Her English was imp...eccable and could always be understood.
- Michael Bates, UKFriday, July 27, 2018Francisco was very easy to deal with. Very professional. Would not hesitate to recommend him to friends.
- Elizabeth Coelho, BarcelonaWednesday, July 25, 2018Oscar was very helpful and really understood my needs.
- Janette Payne, FranceWednesday, July 25, 2018Jaime was quick, made good suggestions about remembering to revoke the power in the future, very responsive - changing a meeting to suit our timetable - and even took us round to a DHL office and arra...nged for the document to be courriered after it was signed.
- Janet/Alex Olsen, NewcastleWednesday, July 25, 2018Overall the service provided by Oliver was exceptional.
My mother and I couldn't of asked for more from him as he sorted out our family affairs. His attitude, attention to detail and promptness wh...ile helping us were second to none.
His English is top notch and his way of explaining and or guiding you through what needs to be done makes the whole experience easier than expected.
We'd recommend Oliver to anyone in need of his expertise while dealing with issues in Tenerife.
- Neil Linter, LondonTuesday, July 24, 2018Cristina immediately understood our requirements and was essential in guiding us through a very tricky process.
- Jason Yorke, United KingdomThursday, July 19, 2018Beatriz was really helpful and always kept me informed at all stages. She is very professional and a pleasure to deal with.
- Mr David P Robson, ValanciaThursday, July 12, 2018My lawyer Francisca offered value for money and was very helpful. Will use her again.
- Richard Day, London and BarcelonaThursday, July 05, 2018My initial call to your service desk was responded to by Oscar very quickly.
I appreciated his time as I outlined my issue, a problem with the building community and administrators. At the end of ...the call he provided clear guidance on next steps.
Furthermore he quickly turned around the issue with an excellent drafted response for which I could not of hoped to be better worded. It was comprehensive and aligned perfectly with what I felt was needed.
Excellent value for money and most definitely I would highly recommend Oscar.
- Søren Aabel Hammer, MalagaThursday, July 05, 2018Beatriz was professional and quick to respond. Would definitely recommend to friends.
- Patrick Crean, AlmerimarThursday, July 05, 2018Juan was fantastic. Very easy to understand and very pleasant. I would definitely use his service again.
- Damien Stephan, BenidormThursday, July 05, 2018The whole process from start to finish was straightforward and well explained. I honestly cannot recommend them enough!
They really went out of their way to be helpful and kept me up to date at ev...ery opportunity. Excellent value for money from some really nice and genuine people. True professionals.
Wouldn’t hesitate to use again in the future.
- Claire, FuengirolaWednesday, July 04, 2018Alvaro assisted me during my experience at advocate abroad, and he was so kind. He answered any questions I had, and made me feel completely at ease.
I knew I was in the hands of a professional. H...e could not have done more to help me.
- Paul and Joyce Rose, Mijas, MalagaWednesday, July 04, 2018Extremely helpful and very professional. Will definitely use Alvaro next time we require legal advice.
- Nigel Whinnett, Esher, UKWednesday, July 04, 2018Professional, friendly, efficient service, good value, a pleasure to use the services of the lawyer and his team. In depth knowledge of the relevant laws, taxes etc.
Would highly recommend and use ...again.
- Claire O'Gara, FuengirolaWednesday, June 27, 2018I liked Alvaroós enthusiasm, and the great level of customer service. He always answered my questions thoroughly.
- Mrs Susan Vickery, Silves, PortugalTuesday, June 26, 2018Good advice, very helpful and fast. Would definitely recommend Luis to friends.