- OliverOliver is a multidisciplinary lawyer and economist with over 10 years in the banking sector. With a very high level of written and spoken English, Oliver specialises in: Property Conveyances, Inheritance, Family Law, Criminal Law, Tax Law and Contractual disputes.
That the entire world has gone mobile is beyond all doubt. As far back as January 2009, according to the Telecommunications Market Commission: 51 million lines were contracted in Spain a population that does not reach the 48 million inhabitants.
While this plainly has ramifications in the world of marketing and a host of other industries, it also has had an impact on the antiquated world of legal services. This is due to the fact that the electronic communications made between Spaniards, including lawyers, are potentially binding between the parties and can be used as evidence in any legal proceedings.
The legislative amendment of Law 59/2003 of 19 December on Electronic Signatures, attempts to provide greater legal certainty for electronic documents signed with a recognized digital certificate, to award costs against the Party which appeals against the admittance of electronic documents with a recognised signature whose authenticity were provable, and going even further, economically fining the Party which appeals this kind of document in a reckless manner.
Analyzing the legality surrounding electronic documents, the College of Lawyers proposed a solution to give legal certainty to mobile communications irrefutably certifying binding notifications sent to mobile devices.
To reliably certify the sending of any specific SMS text message to a specific phone number, on a certain day and time, the Lawyers´ Certification Authority, acknowledged by the Ministry of Industry as a provider of certification services, launched BuroSMS. The idea behind the move was to provide a more up-to-date version of the ‘Burofax’, a written notification sent via the Post Office which provides confirmation of delivery for the purposes of notification between parties. While a physical address may be difficult to ascertain for one reason or another, the injured party may well know the mobile phone number of the other party.
When might this be used in a legal context?
It is a requirement at law, in a wide range of legal proceedings, that certifiable communication has been made to the other party. So for example, it can be required in the course of certain proceedings for the recovery of a debt, that an attempt has been made to reach an amicable agreement. Sending a ‘Buro SMS’ would be sufficient in such circumstances.
Also, for example, where an employee has failed to attend work for a period of time without good reason, and it is necessary under employment law to officially notify them of their employment status, a BuroSMS will suffice.
There are many other situations where a BuroSMS would be a useful tool, such as notification of outstanding debts to property owners in a Community of Owners, creation and termination of contracts etc.
How is the Buro SMS used?
Clearly, use of the BuroSMS does not mean that individuals will go to court, with the latest model of mobile phone in hand, to show an SMS message sent from your own inbox.
The lawyer sends an SMS from his computer as if it were an email. The “Signing Certification Lawyers Authority” service then sends a text message to the mobile phone of the addressee and as soon as it is received, sends an email acknowledging receipt by each recipient, attaching a certified copy of this email digitally signed (in PDF format) that attests the content of the message, date and time sent and the phone number that has been sent to. This digitally signed PDF has full legal validity in addition to assert the professional status of the sender of the SMS, thanks to its Lawyers´ digital certificate.
In addition to the aforementioned legal certainty, the most important added value is efficiency. Compared with the traditional means of reliable notification, a paper Burofax sent via the Post Office, the BuroSMS is ecological, and certainly much faster, safer and easier to use. Besides not having to leave their workplace, the cost is considerably lower than Burofax or registered letter. The lawyers on the Advocate Abroad network can assist with the sending of legal notifications.
Below is a list of recent reviews received from our clients, obtained via the Wufoo client survey platform:
- Darren & Gemma Nesbitt, ValenciaTuesday, September 11, 2018Inmaculada has been of excellent service to us, as a family and in helping to set up a business in Spain. She has now undertaking several project for us and has delivered high quality on all of them. ...Perfect service!
- Patsy Valentin, GranadaTuesday, September 11, 2018Extremely accommodating and highly professional and very pro active. Excellent result and service. Highly recommended.
- Jovie, MalagaWednesday, September 05, 2018My lawyer Alvaro was extremely helpful and very efficient. I would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Albert Roldan, FranceTuesday, September 04, 2018Alfonso was extremely helpful, particularly since we requested a quick turnaround for the 18 documents needing to be translated from English and French to Spanish.
He was fluent in our phone conver...sations and email correspondence, he never misunderstood what our requirements were. He was was clear in explaining how this process works and what the price included.
I would highly recommend him to anyone needing these services.
- David Grundy, UKFriday, August 24, 2018Jose was very polite and we received an excellent service from him. Nothing was to much trouble and his communication was 2nd to none. Highly recommended!
- Mario Klappholz, Miami, FloridaThursday, August 16, 2018Inma was very helpful, always happy to assist. I particularly appreciated her professionalism. I would not hesitate to recommend her services to friends.
- Daniel Spitzhorn, SpainTuesday, August 14, 2018Miguel in Oviedo helped us during the process of buying a flat in Asturias. He was just brilliant!
- Tracey Iliffe Bradley, UKTuesday, August 14, 2018Rosa dealt with everything efficiently and promptly and went beyond our expectations by helping us to open a Spanish bank account and deal with other minutiae.
- Erslaan Ahmed, BangladeshFriday, August 10, 2018Gave very good advice and provided an excellent solution. Inma is very professional in her work. I would recommend her services to friends.
- John Ryan, Derby, EnglandWednesday, August 08, 2018A perfect relationship between client and professional. Nothing was too much trouble.
Went over and above his job and more. I would only use his services if I need legal services. I were very lucky... to find Jose first time round.
Thank you jose
- Robert Brownlee, Almeria, SpainWednesday, August 08, 2018Everything was as it should be: excellent. Had to pay by bank transfer and maybe would have liked another means of paying.
- Delbecq, FranceFriday, August 03, 2018Cristina, is extremely professional, fast, responsive understand and explain well, she always found appropriate solutions and provide good advices.
She know how to deal and negotiate, and look self...-confident, and make you feel less stress, you can trust here.
The value for money is good, and she is up to date with technologies (mail/google app etc… very practical).
It was a pleasure and a great luck to found here and have here at my side for my case. For anything, i should need a lawyer she will be the one I’ll work with
- Mohamed Nasir, EnglandMonday, July 30, 2018My lawyer Carmen is a nice lady ,very professional. I would like to be her client again if I need a lawyer in the future.
- Michael Harrison, Urb. Camposol Mazarron MurciaFriday, July 27, 2018Maria was extremely helpful and professional, and put herself out to satisfy my needs.
I contacted her on a number of occasions and always had very good advise on costs etc.
Her English was imp...eccable and could always be understood.
- Michael Bates, UKFriday, July 27, 2018Francisco was very easy to deal with. Very professional. Would not hesitate to recommend him to friends.
- Elizabeth Coelho, BarcelonaWednesday, July 25, 2018Oscar was very helpful and really understood my needs.
- Janette Payne, FranceWednesday, July 25, 2018Jaime was quick, made good suggestions about remembering to revoke the power in the future, very responsive - changing a meeting to suit our timetable - and even took us round to a DHL office and arra...nged for the document to be courriered after it was signed.
- Janet/Alex Olsen, NewcastleWednesday, July 25, 2018Overall the service provided by Oliver was exceptional.
My mother and I couldn't of asked for more from him as he sorted out our family affairs. His attitude, attention to detail and promptness wh...ile helping us were second to none.
His English is top notch and his way of explaining and or guiding you through what needs to be done makes the whole experience easier than expected.
We'd recommend Oliver to anyone in need of his expertise while dealing with issues in Tenerife.
- Neil Linter, LondonTuesday, July 24, 2018Cristina immediately understood our requirements and was essential in guiding us through a very tricky process.
- Jason Yorke, United KingdomThursday, July 19, 2018Beatriz was really helpful and always kept me informed at all stages. She is very professional and a pleasure to deal with.
- Mr David P Robson, ValanciaThursday, July 12, 2018My lawyer Francisca offered value for money and was very helpful. Will use her again.
- Richard Day, London and BarcelonaThursday, July 05, 2018My initial call to your service desk was responded to by Oscar very quickly.
I appreciated his time as I outlined my issue, a problem with the building community and administrators. At the end of ...the call he provided clear guidance on next steps.
Furthermore he quickly turned around the issue with an excellent drafted response for which I could not of hoped to be better worded. It was comprehensive and aligned perfectly with what I felt was needed.
Excellent value for money and most definitely I would highly recommend Oscar.
- Søren Aabel Hammer, MalagaThursday, July 05, 2018Beatriz was professional and quick to respond. Would definitely recommend to friends.
- Patrick Crean, AlmerimarThursday, July 05, 2018Juan was fantastic. Very easy to understand and very pleasant. I would definitely use his service again.
- Damien Stephan, BenidormThursday, July 05, 2018The whole process from start to finish was straightforward and well explained. I honestly cannot recommend them enough!
They really went out of their way to be helpful and kept me up to date at ev...ery opportunity. Excellent value for money from some really nice and genuine people. True professionals.
Wouldn’t hesitate to use again in the future.
- Claire, FuengirolaWednesday, July 04, 2018Alvaro assisted me during my experience at advocate abroad, and he was so kind. He answered any questions I had, and made me feel completely at ease.
I knew I was in the hands of a professional. H...e could not have done more to help me.
- Paul and Joyce Rose, Mijas, MalagaWednesday, July 04, 2018Extremely helpful and very professional. Will definitely use Alvaro next time we require legal advice.
- Nigel Whinnett, Esher, UKWednesday, July 04, 2018Professional, friendly, efficient service, good value, a pleasure to use the services of the lawyer and his team. In depth knowledge of the relevant laws, taxes etc.
Would highly recommend and use ...again.
- Claire O'Gara, FuengirolaWednesday, June 27, 2018I liked Alvaroós enthusiasm, and the great level of customer service. He always answered my questions thoroughly.
- Mrs Susan Vickery, Silves, PortugalTuesday, June 26, 2018Good advice, very helpful and fast. Would definitely recommend Luis to friends.