- JuanWith more than 20 years experience practising law, Juan heads a multi-disciplinary, multi-lingual team in the centre of Benidorm. All major branches of law dealt with, including property law, contract breaches, commercial law & business formation, employment law and employee contracts, family law and inheritances.
- ManuelManuel has been a registered lawyer in Alicante Province since 1997. He is specialised primarily in legal and tax advice to individuals and businesses in Spain who are involved in the purchase of real estate, ensuring they obtain the best legal and tax advantages. Manuel also assists clients in the associated fields of inheritance and family law, and also manages matters of contract law.
- Damien Stephan, BenidormThursday, July 05, 2018The whole process from start to finish was straightforward and well explained. I honestly cannot recommend them enough!
They really went out of their way to be helpful and kept me up to date at ev...ery opportunity. Excellent value for money from some really nice and genuine people. True professionals.
Wouldn’t hesitate to use again in the future.
- Martin Hickey, BenidormSunday, February 18, 2018Very friendly and knowledgeable and professional.
Juan explained the plus and the negatives on various subjects and allowed us to make up our own mind.
I have already recommended him to our fri...ends.
- Craig Beazeley, BenidormWednesday, October 11, 2017My lawyer Juan was very helful and I couldn't have expected any more from him. Will certainly be using his services again.
- Harold Thomas, Manchester UKFriday, January 13, 2017The help I received from Juan on behalf of my sister in law Sandra, was invaluable.
He is an excellent professional who I can highly recommend, if I was ever in need of legal assistance in Spain he... would definitely be the first person I would contact.
Many thanks Juan for your help.
- Gary Bradshaw, EnglandThursday, January 05, 2017Made my life very easy and worth every bit of the money. Very experienced and always answered every question with ease , which made me very relaxed.
- VK, CocentainaFriday, October 30, 2015Juan is a fantastic lawyer. Extremely thorough. 100% committed to doing the best job he can for you. Very friendly but very professional in every way. Would highly recommend his services.
- Thomas Hills, SpainFriday, March 13, 2015Legally I believe everything was covered in what I think was a complicated situation, so I am satisfied that I was well represented.
No problems were encountered with language, as the lawyer had ...perfect English. Meetings were scheduled and kept, which is good for Spain !
Overall I am very satisfied with the service.
- Adrienne Kardos-Farkas, BudapestTuesday, January 27, 2015I was very satisfied with the service provided by my lawyer. He spoke English more or less fluently and was always happy to assist wherever possible.
He was very intelligent and provided a professi...onal service. I would definitely use his services again.
- Frank Balmer, Teresa de CofrentesFriday, October 31, 2014Very satisfied. Our lawyer was extremely helpful and had more or less fluent English. He was very friendly, explained everything we needed to know. We couldn’t have asked for better service.
- Lyle Haynes, BenidormSunday, September 07, 2014Juan was extremely helpful in a very complex business matter. Successful solution to the matter at hand was achieved. Very friendly service and quick response to my queries or requests.
I could not... have been more happy with this firm or the service I received from Juan. I would definitely use this law firm again.
- Robert Short & Lenka, BenidormSaturday, May 31, 2014The lawyer did an excellent job and helped us through everything we had to do and advised what would be best for us.
Service was very good and the price was also resonable. We would certainly use h...im again.
All processes he managed to organise in short time, which was helpful. Thank you.
- Maureen Brown, BenidormFriday, May 23, 2014Juan kept us up to date on everything.
He was very understanding, very good value for money, explained everything we needed explained. We understood everything he told us. His English was first cl...ass
The service from Juan was first class. We would recommend him to anyone.
- Glynis Stanley, DublinWednesday, February 12, 2014I appreciated the in-depth information, time and willingness to explore all angles to help what was a difficult situation.
As I had previously had very unsatisfactory dealings legally in Spain I le...ft my appointment feeling that I had found a Practice that was honourable and trustworthy....very happy to recommend.
While it is completely normal to not want to consider the inevitable, it does make economic sense to draft a will in Spain to control the distribution of your Spanish assets at the relevant time.
However, even if you do not have the benefit of an existing will and you must deal with an intestate inheritance, our lawyers, with more than 20 years experience managing the assets of foreign clients in the Benidorm area, will explain everything in plain English and guide you in a sensitive and professional manner through the whole process.
What are the benefits of making a Will in Spain?
Making a Will in Spain that deals with your Spanish assets ensures that your wishes regarding those assets are complied with and avoids the possibility that Spanish law would apply.
A Spanish Will avoids the need for time-consuming legalisation and translation of English documents that could delay payment of inheritance taxes and incur punitive fines. All of the above means that your heirs are able to manage the inherited estate at a lower cost and in a much more straight-forward manner.
What should be included in a Spanish will
In order to ensure that your Spanish Will is fit for purpose it should contain a number of clauses:
- The Will should clearly state that it only applies to Spanish assets and not any other.
- Likewise, Wills made in any other country should state that they refer to assets only in that country to avoid any potential confusion as to which Will applies to which assets.
- The Will should declare that the law of succession in your country of origin is governed by the principle of free and unfettered disposition of private property and assets.
The process for making a will in Spain
The process for making a Will is relatively straightforward:
- Discuss how you wish your assets to be distributed with a lawyer in Spain
- The lawyer will write the content of the Will in accordance with your wishes
- The Will is then formally drawn-up by a public notary,
- An appointment is made with the notary to sign the Will
- The notary will provide you with a copy and notify the central civil registy office of the existence of the Will.
What should you avoid?
You should avoid any Will-writing service that does not provide you with a professional draughtsman.
While there is relative freedom of disposition of assets in Anglo-Saxon legal systems, for a Spanish Will to be effective it must comply with Spanish procedure. This means that it will need to be drawn-up by a notary and should therefore be written in Spanish in order to avoid confusion.
An English-speaking lawyer will be able to advise you on this as well as more complex issues such as the validity of trusts in Spain which could cause problems in certain cases.
Would you like your will to be drawn-up in the most tax-friendly manner?
There are a number of ways that you can minimise the costs of an inheritance and these are incorporated into our Will-making service. The features of the service are as follows:
- You provide the lawyers with the details of the assets that you have in Spain as well as your wishes with regard to how they should be distributed.
- According to your wishes, your Will shall be drawn-up in such a way as to minimise any Succession tax liability in Spain.
- You will be provided with an estimate of the inheritance tax liability so that you can determine in advance whether the Will meets your requirements.
- The Will is drafted in both Spanish and English so that you can confirm that it conforms to your intentions
- The Will is drawn-up in the office of a public notary convenient to you.
- An appointment is made with the public notary to sign the Will and you will receive an official copy while another copy is sent to the central Wills registry in Madrid.
Code of Reasonable Fees
While this law firm is particularly suitable for managing Probate related issues faced by non-residents with assets in Spain, clients will not face elevated charges or fees as a result. Our clients can expect to receive a quotation that is at or below the recommended guideline prices by the Law Society of Alicante.
Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers in Spain. These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your lawyer.
- Fees as recommended by the Spanish Law Societies
- Legal fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Services levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All lawyers must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Lawyers’ proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.