Below is a list of recent client testimonials received from previous clients, obtained via Wufoo client survey platform:
- Pernilla, LondonFriday, April 13, 2018We had excellent service from Esther at Advocate Abroad when buying a property in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.
Esther speaks both Spanish and English, and is very friendly, professional and genuine. ...She took care of the whole purchasing process and explained all the steps for us, including giving advice on Spanish bank account, NIE numbers etc.
We are very pleased with all the help we have received and can highly recommend Esther. Thank you so much!
- Julia Alcock, Puerto Rico, Gran CanariaThursday, February 22, 2018Esther was very friendly and approachable. She was professional and answered any questions I asked. We would definitely use her again in the future.
- Jackie Stevenson, Gran CanariaWednesday, July 19, 2017Esther is informative and extremely helpful and above all very professional. I would definitely use the same lawyer again in the future.
- Diana Rawstron, LondonThursday, November 03, 2016Domingo provided an excellent service on this matter and I was very pleased that I had found him through your website. I definitely use the same lawyer again in the future.
- Michelle Richardson, UKTuesday, April 19, 2016Domingo has great empathy, and works hard with great understanding of your needs.
Domingo is available and flexible, he is there for you always, and very professional at all times.
My case was a... difficult one,Domingo did all he could given the circumstances, I could not of have asked for more.
- David Russell, UKFriday, September 25, 2015Extremely helpful at all times. Worked with us in the whole process of the purchase making it easier than we expected.
Gave very clear advice on what we should and should not accept from the seller....
- KRF, Las PalmasMonday, June 22, 2015My lawyer showed great attention to detail, was responsive and very professional. I will definitely use his services again.
- Peter Friedman, Gran CanariaWednesday, October 29, 2014Leocricia was extremely helpful – she couldn’t have done more.
She was more or less fluent in English and we were very satisfied with the service provided – particularly the fact that she was... quick to respond to emails and queries.
We will definitely contact her in the future if we need a lawyer in Gran Canaria.
- Dawn H, Puerto RicoTuesday, February 11, 2014My lawyer was very helpful with our property purchase. He always replied to any questions extremely quickly and provided us with all the legal help, advice and documentation necessary.
He explained... the Spanish processes which are quite different from England.
I would very happily recommend his services.
We are an experienced firm of lawyers that offer straightforward and reasonably priced legal advice in matters of probate law. Our English-speaking lawyers can prepare a Will that will effectively deal with your Spanish assets in a cost-effective manner as well as manage the administration of the estate of a deceased loved one and ensure that the assets are distributed to the appropriate beneficiaries.
What are the benefits of making a Will in Spain?
Making a Will in Spain that deals with your Spanish assets ensures that your wishes regarding those assets are complied with and avoids the possibility that Spanish law would apply.
A Spanish Will avoids the need for time-consuming legalisation and translation of English documents that could delay payment of inheritance taxes and incur punitive fines. All of the above means that your heirs are able to manage the inherited estate at a lower cost and in a much more straight-forward manner.
What should be included in a Spanish will
In order to ensure that your Spanish Will is fit for purpose it should contain a number of clauses:
- The Will should clearly state that it only applies to Spanish assets and not any other.
- Likewise, Wills made in any other country should state that they refer to assets only in that country to avoid any potential confusion as to which Will applies to which assets.
- The Will should declare that the law of succession in your country of origin is governed by the principle of free and unfettered disposition of private property and assets.
The process for making a will in Spain
The process for making a Will is relatively straightforward:
- Discuss how you wish your assets to be distributed with a lawyer in Spain
- The lawyer will write the content of the Will in accordance with your wishes
- The Will is then formally drawn-up by a public notary,
- An appointment is made with the notary to sign the Will
- The notary will provide you with a copy and notify the central civil registy office of the existence of the Will.
What should you avoid?
You should avoid any Will-writing service that does not provide you with a professional draughtsman.
While there is relative freedom of disposition of assets in Anglo-Saxon legal systems, for a Spanish Will to be effective it must comply with Spanish procedure. This means that it will need to be drawn-up by a notary and should therefore be written in Spanish in order to avoid confusion.
An English-speaking lawyer will be able to advise you on this as well as more complex issues such as the validity of trusts in Spain which could cause problems in certain cases.
Would you like your will to be drawn-up in the most tax-friendly manner?
There are a number of ways that you can minimise the costs of an inheritance and these are incorporated into our Will-making service. The features of the service are as follows:
- You provide the lawyers with the details of the assets that you have in Spain as well as your wishes with regard to how they should be distributed.
- According to your wishes, your Will shall be drawn-up in such a way as to minimise any Succession tax liability in Spain.
- You will be provided with an estimate of the inheritance tax liability so that you can determine in advance whether the Will meets your requirements.
- The Will is drafted in both Spanish and English so that you can confirm that it conforms to your intentions
- The Will is drawn-up in the office of a public notary convenient to you.
- An appointment is made with the public notary to sign the Will and you will receive an official copy while another copy is sent to the central Wills registry in Madrid.
Code of Reasonable Fees
While this law firm is particularly suitable for managing Probate related issues faced by non-residents with assets in Spain, clients will not face elevated charges or fees as a result. Our clients can expect to receive a quotation that is at or below the recommended guideline prices by the Law Society of Las Palmas.
Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers in Spain. These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your lawyer.
- Fees as recommended by the Spanish Law Societies
- Legal fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Services levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All lawyers must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Lawyers’ proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.