- PedroPedro heads a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary law firm located in the centre of Torrevieja. For more than 20 years he has provided English-speakers in the area with expert guidance on such matters as property conveynaces and property law in general, contractual disputes, commercial law including business formation, as well as family law and inheritances.
- CarmenCarmen is a highly experienced lawyer and leads a multi-disciplinary law practice with offices across Murcia. Expert legal advice is offered in all major areas of the law including property law, contract breach/debt recovery, family law and inheritances as well as business formation and taxation.
- AlexandraAlexandra completed her academic career with a Master´s degree in International Law. She has also benefited from years of experience working for prestigious law firms in London, assisting clients with UK and Spanish related legal issues. She has since moved back to Alicante Province and provides expert legal guidance to English-speaking clients in conveyancing and probate matters particularly in Elche, El Altet and Torrevieja.
Below is a list of recent client testimonials received from previous clients, obtained via Wufoo client survey platform:
- Jane Armstrong, Playa Flamenca, SpainWednesday, November 15, 2017Carmen was efficient and professional at all times. Always available to help and advise. Would definitely recommend.
- David Gough, Villamartin,Wednesday, October 18, 2017We found Carmen to be very approachable and professional - she guided us all the way through the process of buying our property always available to answer our many questions either by phone or email. ...
The cost of this service was very reasonable and after the sale was complete she then went on to complete our Spanish wills expertly guiding us through the Spanish inheritance laws.
We would not hesitate to use her services again in the future or to recommend her to friends.
- David Bird, EnglandThursday, September 21, 2017Our lawyer Carmen was absolutely fantastic in everything. Brilliant!
- Karl Deeter, IrelandMonday, July 31, 2017Carmen is responsive, able to answer complex questions and even collected the keys on a day when my flight was arriving too late for me to do it.
I was really impressed with her dedication to doin...g the job right and in a timely manner. Buying abroad comes with lots of questions and complexities, she guided me through them all with detailed information along the way.
I have dealt with many solicitors in different countries through the years of buying and selling property and she is amongst the best I have found anywhere.
- Terry Cheyne, TorreviejaSaturday, April 15, 2017Carmen was so helpful, best lawyer we have ever had. I would definitely use the same lawyer again in the future.
- Kate Foley, IrelandWednesday, April 05, 2017She always replied to queries promptly and was happy to work via email which was very convenient for me.
She was very thorough in translation of all legal documents and never rushed me to complete... anything without ensuring I was 100% happy with it.
- Stuart Hayter, DublinTuesday, February 07, 2017Carmen was very helpful, listened to what we wanted.
Carmen’s approach was friendly and informative, we have advised other people of Carmen and advised that they should seek advice & help from he...r practice, very good value for money.
Dealing with Carmen was very professional and a joy.
- June Matthews, BotanicoMonday, February 06, 2017More than helpful, very professional, understood our requirements straight away and provided us with our solutions. Very impressed with her work ethics, would definitely use her services again.
- Lorraine Booty, TorreviejaTuesday, September 13, 2016Carmen provided a very efficient and immediate service. We would definitely use the service again.
- Gill Turner, TorreviejaFriday, February 19, 2016Both the lawyer and his legal assistant were very helpful and patient with all the questions asked- They put us at ease and were very efficient.
Very satisfied overall with service, and would defin...itely use the service again.
- Ronald Kevin, UKMonday, October 26, 2015Very helpful and genuine went over and above the call, even picked us up to take us to and from places we needed to attend regarding the sale.
I don't think the service could be improved, it comes ...across as a very well run service.
- Michael Gilhooley, ScotlandFriday, September 25, 2015An absolute pleasure from start to finish with Pedro and his assistant David. Couldn’t have ask for more from my lawyer would highly recommend Pedro to friends and family .
- M B Groves, EnglandThursday, September 24, 2015Fast response within 24 hours appointment when i wanted. Value for money. Very efficient.
- Martin Pettit, CheltenhamFriday, January 30, 2015Everything was explained clearly and concisely. Appointments were on time and the Notary visit was very well organised.
I was very satisfied with the service and would definitely use this lawyer in... the future.
- Brett Goldsmith, CanadaSunday, September 21, 2014He helped me not to put certain points in my divorce, that I later may have regretted. Often in haste a person will ask for or give certain concessions that later will be inappropriate.
I was fortu...nately stopped from doing this by my lawyer Pedro.
Pedro has a professional, helpful and friendly approach.
We are experienced probate lawyers who will help simplify the probate process and handle what can be an overwhelming task in a timely, efficient and cost-effective manner. Whether you need advice on estate planning, drafting of mirror-wills or administration of a Spanish estate – whether with or without an existing Will – our lawyers will provide immediate expert assistance and peace of mind.
What are the benefits of making a Will in Spain?
Making a Will in Spain that deals with your Spanish assets ensures that your wishes regarding those assets are complied with and avoids the possibility that Spanish law would apply.
A Spanish Will avoids the need for time-consuming legalisation and translation of English documents that could delay payment of inheritance taxes and incur punitive fines. All of the above means that your heirs are able to manage the inherited estate at a lower cost and in a much more straight-forward manner.
What should be included in a Spanish will
In order to ensure that your Spanish Will is fit for purpose it should contain a number of clauses:
- The Will should clearly state that it only applies to Spanish assets and not any other.
- Likewise, Wills made in any other country should state that they refer to assets only in that country to avoid any potential confusion as to which Will applies to which assets.
- The Will should declare that the law of succession in your country of origin is governed by the principle of free and unfettered disposition of private property and assets.
The process for making a will in Spain
The process for making a Will is relatively straightforward:
- Discuss how you wish your assets to be distributed with a lawyer in Spain
- The lawyer will write the content of the Will in accordance with your wishes
- The Will is then formally drawn-up by a public notary,
- An appointment is made with the notary to sign the Will
- The notary will provide you with a copy and notify the central civil registy office of the existence of the Will.
What should you avoid?
You should avoid any Will-writing service that does not provide you with a professional draughtsman.
While there is relative freedom of disposition of assets in Anglo-Saxon legal systems, for a Spanish Will to be effective it must comply with Spanish procedure. This means that it will need to be drawn-up by a notary and should therefore be written in Spanish in order to avoid confusion.
An English-speaking lawyer will be able to advise you on this as well as more complex issues such as the validity of trusts in Spain which could cause problems in certain cases.
Would you like your will to be drawn-up in the most tax-friendly manner?
There are a number of ways that you can minimise the costs of an inheritance and these are incorporated into our Will-making service. The features of the service are as follows:
- You provide the lawyers with the details of the assets that you have in Spain as well as your wishes with regard to how they should be distributed.
- According to your wishes, your Will shall be drawn-up in such a way as to minimise any Succession tax liability in Spain.
- You will be provided with an estimate of the inheritance tax liability so that you can determine in advance whether the Will meets your requirements.
- The Will is drafted in both Spanish and English so that you can confirm that it conforms to your intentions
- The Will is drawn-up in the office of a public notary convenient to you.
- An appointment is made with the public notary to sign the Will and you will receive an official copy while another copy is sent to the central Wills registry in Madrid.
Code of Reasonable Fees
While this law firm is particularly suitable for managing Probate related issues faced by non-residents with assets in Spain, clients will not face elevated charges or fees as a result. Our clients can expect to receive a quotation that is at or below the recommended guideline prices by the Law Society of Alicante.
Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers in Spain. These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your lawyer.
- Fees as recommended by the Spanish Law Societies
- Legal fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Services levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All lawyers must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Lawyers’ proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.