Wills Drawn-up in Spain
The most straightforward situation is where the testator has drawn-up a will in Spain and in accordance with the legal provisions for creating a valid will.
How to File a Will in Spain
Making a will in Spain to cover your Spanish assets is a sensible action that will save time, money and stress for your heirs. The procedure is as follows:
- Contact an English-speaking lawyer with experience in matters of probate.
- The solcitor will draft a will that covers your assets in Spain and will distribute those assets according to your wishes and the law of your nationality.
- Note carefully, it is important to highlight the fact that this will applies to your Spanish assets and not any other assets you may have elsewhere – if that is your intention.
- The will is taken to a notary to have it formally drawn-up in a public document. The notary will hand over a copy of the will and retain the original for storage.
- The notary informs the Central Registry for Wills in Madrid of the existence of the will.
- When the time comes, your beneficiaries can obtain a certificate from the central registry that will certify that the will (of which they will have the copy the notary handed over) is in fact your final will and testament.
Creating a Spanish will greatly simplify matters though there still remains a series of actions that need to be carried out in order to have an estate’s assets distributed correctly.
It is not advisable to try to do so without the assistance of a qualified expert in inheritance matters in Spain.
1. The first thing that needs to be carried-out is to obtain the Death Certificate (Certificado de Defunción ). If death occurred in Spain then this can be obtained from the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) where the death occurred. The address of the local Registro Civil can be found by going to: Registro Civil .
If the testator died outside Spain then a death certificate must be obtained from the relevant authority in that state. For example, if the testator died in England or Wales, information on obtaining a death certificate can be requested by clicking on the following links:
Please note that if the Death Certificate is not written in Spanish then it must be translated and legalised i.e have the Apostille stamp attached. It can then be used as an equivalent to the Spanish ‘Certificado de Defunción’.
2. With the Certificado de Defunción or legalised Death Certificate arranged then the next step is to request the Certificado de Registro General de Actos de Última Voluntad (RGAUV). The RGAUV certificate is issued by the central office for wills and testaments in Madrid and verifies the existence or otherwise of a Spanish will.
It will be necessary to wait for a period of 15 days from the date when death occurred before ordering the certificate. If ordering the certificate then there is an administrative charge that requires completing form 790. It will be necessary to send an original (not a copy) of the death certificate and it normally takes around 10 days to receive the certificate.
3. It may also be convenient at this stage to acquire any Life Insurance Contract that may exist. If the life insurance contract was taken out in Spain then it will be registered in the same place as the RGAUV certificate.
If however, as is more likely, the life insurance was taken out in a country of origin such as the UK or Ireland then the insurance company will have their own process.
This will typically involve sending an original (not a copy) of the death certificate and completing whatever form the insurance company uses.
Client reviews of our legal services, as uploaded by clients directly to the Wufoo survey platform:
- Christopher Stone, Ibiza, SpainTuesday, November 06, 2018Perfect English. Complete understanding of the problem. Hints and tips. A great help.
- David W Baker, MalagaTuesday, November 06, 2018We were extremely satisfied with Alvaro: He explained the law to us and gave us a solution to our problem. He could not have been more helpful and we will definitely use him again.
- Thom Koller, LondonMonday, November 05, 2018Francisca provided a perfect service!
She is professional, dedicated and took care to understand the needs of my situation. Her service offers exceptional value for money and gives complete peace o...f mind.
- Michael O'Sullivan, IbizaThursday, November 01, 2018Understanding Spanish law regarding buying and selling properties is a minefield for English speakers. Cristina provided the legal expertise, the translation of legal documents, explanations for all i...ssues, and solutions for our challenges.
Also, she provides confidence and reassurance that what we are doing is in our best interests and within the law - very important when working in a foreign country.
In summary, she is an excellent professional that we are so pleased we found and will continue to use for all our legal matters.
I think you have a perfect solution for supporting people abroad. I was lucky to find you on the internet. Perhaps you could promote your services to all estate agents abroad, so more people can get access to your service when buying or selling abroad.
- Colin Wilson, AustraliaTuesday, October 30, 2018Overall it was great. Rosa always answered all questions asked and provided clear, concise and well explained answers.
When there was a delay in responding she did offer an apology which was appre...ciated. Rosa always instilled a sense of confidence that she knew exactly what was going on, what I was asking, and what the applicable law was.
When not a Spanish local and dealing with her remotely, this provided great comfort in a sensitive matter.
- Mohammed Muzamil Husain, Riyadh Saudia ArabiaWednesday, October 24, 2018My lawyer Joao was extremely helpful and I was very satisfied with the outcome. I would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Campbell Reynolds, SpainMonday, October 22, 2018We were very satisfied with the service provided by our lawyer Sabela.
She was very accomodating, quick response to everything while thinking outside the box for solutions. Also, her English was mo...re or less fluent.
- Tony Rothero, United KingdomMonday, October 22, 2018My lawyer Luis was bilingual and I was very satisfied with the service provided, particularly his prompt replies. He was very efficient.
- David Edwards, EnglandWednesday, October 17, 2018Very Satisfied with the service provided by Oliver. He was quick, efficient and value for money. Would definitely recommend to friends.
- Andrew Morecroft, LubrinMonday, October 15, 2018Juan was extremely helpful during every part of the purchase. As I was buying an older property there were slight complications but Juan explained every issue and managed to work through the difficult...ies with supreme efficiency.
Also there was a ridiculous situation with my Spanish bank account where I could not access the money even though it was in the account. Thankfully I had given Juan power of attorney and he managed to sort-out the problem.
He went above and beyond the call of duty and I am very grateful for all his help. I would strongly recommend him to anyone looking to buy in the Almeria region.
- Brian Abram, TotanaSaturday, October 13, 2018Excellent service around super quick and a good price: 5*.
- Manoochehr Jafari-Nahad, UAESaturday, October 13, 2018Jose-Antonio was extremely helpful and prompt and also it was helpful that he could be contacted via social media like Whatsapp
- Michele Jansen van Vuuren, BenajarafeSaturday, October 13, 2018Alvaro was extremely helpful, he couldn't have done more. Very quick to respond to my query.
Only issue was that some of the documents I needed to provide were not mentioned. However, would defini...tely recommend his services to friends.
- John Fraser Dunfield, San FranciscoFriday, October 12, 2018Good understanding. Applied sufficient pressure as needed to get the issue resolved. Reasonable charge for service provided. Would definitely recommend this service to friends.
- Rosemarie Byrne and John Cooper, Dublin IrelandcoupleTuesday, October 09, 2018We found Francisca extremely helpful with a great amount of knowledge about buying a house and re-locating to Spain.
- Jane Evanson, London, UKfemaleTuesday, October 09, 2018Francisco was very helpful and professional. I was very happy with the advice and service.
- David McChesney, Puerto BanusWednesday, October 03, 2018Alvaro was very professional, Knowledgeable of the subject at hand, did not over-charge - in fact cut costs in the best way for me. Very efficient in the entire process. Thank you.
- Martha Kimes, Scottsdale, Arizona USAfemaleTuesday, October 02, 2018Francisco was incredibly responsive (and quickly).
Unlike American attorneys (and I know, because I am one), he didn't even bill me for a few follow-up emails/calls that he made on my behalf which... he easily could have done.
I was supremely happy with his legal services.
- David Roots, EnglandMonday, October 01, 2018We were very satisfied with the service we received. Rosa dealt with the matter in hand promptly and efficiently.
- Mrs Ruth Rettie, AustraliafemaleMonday, October 01, 2018We found Teresa to be very helpful , supplied useful information regarding getting our Fiscal number, and about getting help with purchasing a property in Portugal.
- David Knors, BarcelonaWednesday, September 26, 2018Oscar was very kind, professional and fair. He was able to help me with my problem and he was very determined that he would.
Oscar is very competent, polite and showed a lot of effort to solve my ...problem. I strongly recommend him.
- Arthur Goulooze, Albufeira / AmstelveenTuesday, September 25, 2018Luis was very professional , did a lot of efforts , called us many times, so very approachable and really value for money! I would not know what he could do any better!
- Tauri, EstoniafemaleTuesday, September 25, 2018Very satisfied with the service. Francisco is bilingual English-Spanish and was always quick to respond and was very professional at all times.
- Mohamed kheder, Dublin, IrelandMonday, September 24, 2018Every thing was great ... Rosa was really helpful and understanding. And I see the value for money was good enough.. of course I would recommend it to any of my friends.
And I would like to have th...e chance to thank Rosa and the whole company for everything.
- Ritchie Ross-Forrester, LondonMonday, September 24, 2018Kubra was fantastic.
She immediately started to communicate with me via WhatsApp which was very helpful and I could speak to over the phone to get updates any time. This was a massive contrast to o...ther lawyers I spoke to in Turkey.
I instantly felt that I could trust her and would recommend her services to anyone. I will be keeping her details very close to hand.
- Daniel Elias, New YorkTuesday, September 18, 2018Excellent service, delivered exactly as promised, and at half the cost a different translator had requested for the same project!
- Darren & Gemma Nesbitt, ValenciaTuesday, September 11, 2018Inmaculada has been of excellent service to us, as a family and in helping to set up a business in Spain. She has now undertaking several project for us and has delivered high quality on all of them. ...Perfect service!
- Patsy Valentin, GranadaTuesday, September 11, 2018Extremely accommodating and highly professional and very pro active. Excellent result and service. Highly recommended.
- Jovie, MalagaWednesday, September 05, 2018My lawyer Alvaro was extremely helpful and very efficient. I would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Albert Roldan, FranceTuesday, September 04, 2018Alfonso was extremely helpful, particularly since we requested a quick turnaround for the 18 documents needing to be translated from English and French to Spanish.
He was fluent in our phone conver...sations and email correspondence, he never misunderstood what our requirements were. He was was clear in explaining how this process works and what the price included.
I would highly recommend him to anyone needing these services.
Certfied Copy of the Will
4. Having the first two certificates on the list allows us to get a Certified copy of the will from the notary in which the will was signed. This must be an authorised copy and not the simple copy that a testator would typically take away after signing the will at the notary’s office.
The RGAUV certificate will identify the most recent and therefore legitimate will as well as the notary office in which the will was signed. It is in this notary office that the will is kept and where an authorised copy can be obtained by presenting the Death Certificate and RGAUV certificate.
The cost is determined by the age and the number of pages in the will. The persons who are permitted to request this copy are those named in the will as beneficiaries or as executors of the will.
Pages: 1 2