Wills Drawn-up in Spain
The most straightforward situation is where the testator has drawn-up a will in Spain and in accordance with the legal provisions for creating a valid will.
How to File a Will in Spain
Making a will in Spain to cover your Spanish assets is a sensible action that will save time, money and stress for your heirs. The procedure is as follows:
- Contact an English-speaking lawyer with experience in matters of probate.
- The solcitor will draft a will that covers your assets in Spain and will distribute those assets according to your wishes and the law of your nationality.
- Note carefully, it is important to highlight the fact that this will applies to your Spanish assets and not any other assets you may have elsewhere – if that is your intention.
- The will is taken to a notary to have it formally drawn-up in a public document. The notary will hand over a copy of the will and retain the original for storage.
- The notary informs the Central Registry for Wills in Madrid of the existence of the will.
- When the time comes, your beneficiaries can obtain a certificate from the central registry that will certify that the will (of which they will have the copy the notary handed over) is in fact your final will and testament.
Creating a Spanish will greatly simplify matters though there still remains a series of actions that need to be carried out in order to have an estate’s assets distributed correctly.
It is not advisable to try to do so without the assistance of a qualified expert in inheritance matters in Spain.
1. The first thing that needs to be carried-out is to obtain the Death Certificate (Certificado de Defunción ). If death occurred in Spain then this can be obtained from the Civil Registry (Registro Civil) where the death occurred. The address of the local Registro Civil can be found by going to: Registro Civil .
If the testator died outside Spain then a death certificate must be obtained from the relevant authority in that state. For example, if the testator died in England or Wales, information on obtaining a death certificate can be requested by clicking on the following links:
Please note that if the Death Certificate is not written in Spanish then it must be translated and legalised i.e have the Apostille stamp attached. It can then be used as an equivalent to the Spanish ‘Certificado de Defunción’.
2. With the Certificado de Defunción or legalised Death Certificate arranged then the next step is to request the Certificado de Registro General de Actos de Última Voluntad (RGAUV). The RGAUV certificate is issued by the central office for wills and testaments in Madrid and verifies the existence or otherwise of a Spanish will.
It will be necessary to wait for a period of 15 days from the date when death occurred before ordering the certificate. If ordering the certificate then there is an administrative charge that requires completing form 790. It will be necessary to send an original (not a copy) of the death certificate and it normally takes around 10 days to receive the certificate.
3. It may also be convenient at this stage to acquire any Life Insurance Contract that may exist. If the life insurance contract was taken out in Spain then it will be registered in the same place as the RGAUV certificate.
If however, as is more likely, the life insurance was taken out in a country of origin such as the UK or Ireland then the insurance company will have their own process.
This will typically involve sending an original (not a copy) of the death certificate and completing whatever form the insurance company uses.
Client reviews of our legal services, as uploaded by clients directly to the Wufoo survey platform:
- Bruce Moore, United KingdomTuesday, October 2, 2017Complete confidence and removed any hassle from the process.Even better was the willingness to provide follow up support and guidance. A great service!
- Hugh and Ann Morgan, Palma de MallorcaMonday, October 1, 2017His command of English is First Class.
He demonstrated the highest level of professionalism and efficiency and l would have no hesitation in using him again or recommending him to any of my collea...gues or friends
Competent, capable value for money FIRST CLASS and a credit to the organisation
- Graham & Josephine Flinders, UKThursday, October 4, 2017Rosa is a excellent lawyer and a extremely nice person, very efficient and helped us though the sale of our apartment.
It all went very smoothly and it was mostly down to Rosa who dealt with anyth...ing that came up in a very professional manner. Rosa explained all what was happening in English and always returned our calls with any answers to our questions.
Her fees are very very reasonable and we felt we got real value for money, we cannot recommend Rosa enough.she is a throughy nice approachable person.We would not hesitate using Rosa again and have recommended her to other people in majorca.
- Anthony Bennett, BarcelonaThursday, October 4, 2017Anna provided the best possible solution for me in my situation, and helped out as much as she possibly could.I would recommend her services to anybody seeking legal or financial advice.
- David Gough, Villamartin,Wednesday, October 3, 2017We found Carmen to be very approachable and professional - she guided us all the way through the process of buying our property always available to answer our many questions either by phone or email. ...
The cost of this service was very reasonable and after the sale was complete she then went on to complete our Spanish wills expertly guiding us through the Spanish inheritance laws.
We would not hesitate to use her services again in the future or to recommend her to friends.
- Alex Alexandrov, Toronto, CanadaWednesday, October 3, 2017Rosa provided excellent service over and above what I paid for and helped me to resolve the dispute we had in the best possible way.
I would use her service again if needed and would recommend her ...to my friends when time is right.
- Craig Beazeley, BenidormWednesday, October 3, 2017My lawyer Juan was very helful and I couldn't have expected any more from him. Will certainly be using his services again.
- Paul Pears & Gareth Roberts, CádizThursday, October 4, 2017We found Francisco to be extremely professional and responsive to any questions we had, completely understood our needs and assisted with appropriate solutions to everything we needed.
In fact he ...goes the extra mile to ensure everything is correct down to the micro details. Nothing was too much trouble.
We have never received such good and efficient service from a Lawyer!
- Peter Brumder, EnglandWednesday, October 3, 2017lvaro has always been very approachable and friendly and I value his judgement and advice.
Alvaro has taken away the headaches associated with a property abroad and has helped me with all my proble...ms including payment of bills, decorating and taxes.
I couldn't have coped without him
- Mehdi Karimkhanzand, IranMonday, September 1, 2017My lawyer Maria was skilled enough to do her duty, very kind and professional with all following factors: responsiveness, understanding, value for money, ability to explain and provide appropriate leg...al solutions, approach ability and professionalism
- Sarah Finnagan, EnglandThursday, September 4, 2017Francisco was fantastic and helped me through every single step and helping understanding everything.
Price was very reasonable i have no complaints at all.
Very easy to get hold of and very qu...ick at responding would definitely go back to him - thankyou so much Francisco for everything.
- David Bird, EnglandThursday, September 4, 2017Our lawyer Carmen was absolutely fantastic in everything. Brilliant!
- S Smith, EsteponaTuesday, September 2, 2017Being English in Spain and fighting a child custody and divorce case here is extremely difficult.
I originally had an only Spanish speaking lawyer and after 2 years of everything taking ages inclu...ding just responses from my lawyer plus with the language barrier I decided to make the difficult decision to change my lawyer to Alvaro.
Immediately and quickly Alvaro got an understanding of the case and was able to advise me. I was now able to understand myself what was going on and he worked to a new pace that had previously been lacking and that was needed to win the case.
Communication and response from Alvaro was always immediate and his recommendations were always correct. He is very professional and approachable person, and a very good lawyer. With his help and guidance I won the case and without any hesitation I would highly recommend Alvaro as a lawyer to anyone.
- Dariush Mirzajani, ScotlandTuesday, September 2, 2017My solicitor was very honest and helpful.I am recommending him to my friends on their legal matters - everything was above my expectations.
- Inge Vets, BelgiumWednesday, September 3, 2017Ramon spoke English more or less fluently and was very helpful. We would definitely use his services again.
- Graham & Karen Pell, Nottingham EnglandTuesday, September 2, 2017I found Erardo very approachable, he always answered all the questions that we asked of him quickly, giving us all the information we needed.
He offered a good value for money service & met with u...s anytime we needed assistance, but did provide most of the information we needed by e-mail (which were all in good quality of our language - English).
I would use Erardo again to do other legal matters & would not go elsewhere e.g. writing our Spanish wills etc. We would recommend him to others if asked.
- Nada Fairris, FuengirolaFriday, September 5, 2017100% Responsive, understanding, value for money, approachable, professional and very efficient.Thank you Ana Belèn.
- Lorne Inglis, MadridFriday, September 5, 2017Olga was very helpful and knowledgeable.
- Wendy Abson, SpainWednesday, August 3, 2017Responsiveness was unrivalled - Jaime is happy to get back to you promptly.
The service he provided was outstanding and everything is explained from start to finish.
Jaime has an excellent comm...and of the English language but is so approachable that he is also help you with your Spanish if help is needed.
He provided value for money whilst at the same time maintaining standards and a friendly and relaxing attitude.
- A & AC, Surrey, EnglandMonday, August 1, 2017We bought a house in Ibiza and Cristina showed immediately a high degree of professionalism and deep knowledge of the whole process - from the initial offer to the final completion of the purchase.
She also dealt on our behalf, with registering us with the utilities companies (Water, Electricity) and other things, for which we were really grateful.
Cristina is a lovely young lady, always ready to help and very polite and her written and spoken english is so very good that there were never any communication problems. Our queries were dealt with quickly and, when needed, she offered explanations, suggestions and alternatives.
All in all a very pleasant experience; we told her we wanted to retain her as our solicitor in Ibiza for any future needs and she readily accepted.
- Nick Boyd, ScotlandFriday, August 5, 2017Rosa was excellent. Very responsive and proactive throughout the property purchase process.She made it all very simple and stress free.
- JP, IrelandThursday, August 4, 2017From the outset, Rosa clearly explained the services.
Buying a property abroad is a daunting experience but she made it very easy to understand. Anything that Rosa said she would do/carry out was ...done immediately. The whole process was carried out efficiently, effectively and without delays.
Without having met Rosa personally, her whole approach was friendly, professional and helpful. Any questions we had were answered promptly. We would highly recommend Rosa to any prospective clients.
When we finally met Rosa in person, she was lovely. We would have no hesitation in recommending Rosa.
- Mark Wreford, Espinosa de Los MonterosTuesday, August 2, 2017We liked everything about the service we received from Jaime: he was bilingual and he was so much more approachable than lawyers in the UK.
Went the extra mile for us and helped us immensely...and ...a lovely guy too!
- K West, NerjaMonday, August 1, 2017Beatriz spoke English more or less fluently, and put me and my wife at ease with what can be a difficult process. She could have improved on written communication at the end of the process but would d...efinitely use her services again.
- Michael Tenerife, UKMonday, August 1, 2017Rosa excelled in all of the criteria listed for evaluation.
Extremely responsive, understanding, professional, and offered great value for money. Rosa explained the situation clearly and provided ...the clearest solution every time.
I just can't imagine how Rosa could have done more. Truly excellent service.
- Aaron L, OregonWednesday, August 3, 2017Very satisfied with the service provided. Helen was knowledgeable, helpful and responsive to communication. Will definitely use again.
- Mr KJB, CordobaMonday, July 1, 2017Francisco is still finalising some business for us but we are happy to give feedback now. He has provided us with the highest level of legal advice and made the whole process relatively easy for us an...d without undue stress.
He was quick to respond and gave his advice in a very logical way and got to the point without fuss. His conversational and written English is first class!
He carried his authority very professionally especially when having to deal with some difficult people (not us!) and he was able to bring the matter to a successful conclusion within a few weeks as opposed to many months had we done it alone.
We could not have wished for a better lawyer to take us through a complicated process.
Thank you Francisco!
- PG, ValenciaMonday, July 1, 2017Very satisfied with the service provided by Inma. She was extremely helpful and spoke English more or less fluently. Would definitely contact her again if I need a lawyer in Valencia.
- Karl Deeter, IrelandMonday, July 1, 2017Carmen is responsive, able to answer complex questions and even collected the keys on a day when my flight was arriving too late for me to do it.
I was really impressed with her dedication to doin...g the job right and in a timely manner. Buying abroad comes with lots of questions and complexities, she guided me through them all with detailed information along the way.
I have dealt with many solicitors in different countries through the years of buying and selling property and she is amongst the best I have found anywhere.
- Matt Hardy, Palma de MallorcaSunday, July 7, 2017From the start I found Rosa excellent.
Really helpful, bilingual, quick at getting back to me, punctual, really knows her stuff, and a lovely person to work with.
Would always use her again an...d highly recommend her.
Certfied Copy of the Will
4. Having the first two certificates on the list allows us to get a Certified copy of the will from the notary in which the will was signed. This must be an authorised copy and not the simple copy that a testator would typically take away after signing the will at the notary’s office.
The RGAUV certificate will identify the most recent and therefore legitimate will as well as the notary office in which the will was signed. It is in this notary office that the will is kept and where an authorised copy can be obtained by presenting the Death Certificate and RGAUV certificate.
The cost is determined by the age and the number of pages in the will. The persons who are permitted to request this copy are those named in the will as beneficiaries or as executors of the will.
Pages: 1 2