Difficulties with paying Inheritance Tax
A common situation that arises is that the beneficiaries are unable to manage payment before the legal deadline of six months from the date of death of the testator.
This is often due to the fact that the inheritance involves a property or some other asset that is difficult to convert into cash quickly.
While the asset itself might be valuable, there may be no ready cash to pay the tax. And of course, the property cannot be sold with good title until the taxes have been paid and the title of the property changed in to the name of the beneficiaries. It is a classic Catch 22 situation.
The matter is not made any easier by the draconian fines and interest penalties enforced by the Spanish government.
Fines for late and non-payment
Spanish law stipulates that any taxes due on an inheritance must be paid within six months of the date registered on the death certificate. If this is not complied with then penalties are charged and interest begins to accrue.
According to Article 27.2 of the ‘Ley General Tributaria’ the charges for late payment of Inheritance Tax are as follows:
- Within 3 months of the deadline: 5% surcharge
- Within 6 months of the deadline: 10% surcharge
- Within 12 months of the deadline: 15% surcharge
- Over 12 months since the deadline: 20% surcharge.
In the first three scenarios, the surcharge is a percentage of the amount payable alone. In the last scenario where 12 months have elapsed since the deadline, interest also becomes payable, currently at a rate of 4.75%.
So, it can readily be seen that it is certainly in our best interests to get all of the legal issues connected with an inheritance in Spain resolved as soon as possible.
However, where a tax bill of many thousands of Euros is due to be paid and the asset inherited is a property that is not generating income there can easily arise a problem in liquidating the tax bill.
How to Defer Payment of Inheritance Taxes
Luckily, the governing legislation (Law 29/1987) provides for such difficult situations and allows for payment of taxes to be deferred or in instalments. The rules may be summarised as follows:
- The taxpayer may opt to delay payment of the tax or to pay in instalments where a request has been submitted within the correct timeframe
- In general, approval of a request to delay or pay the tax in instalments will incur a levy for legal interest
- The deadline for making an application to delay or pay in instalments is six months from the date of death of the testator.
- For requests of a delay of a year or less in payment of the tax it is required that the request has been made within the allowed time period and that there are not sufficient liquid assets to pay the tax
- For requests to pay instalments over five years in addition to the rules regarding requests for a delay of one year, it is additionally required that a guarantee that covers 125% of the amount of the tax and interest payable
Inheritance Taxes and the Family Home
Where the asset that is the subject of the tax is a property then the inheritance tax may be paid in instalments where:
- The application has been made within the required timeframe
- The property is required for use as a primary, habitual residence
- The size of the property does not exceed 120m ²
Client reviews of our legal services, as uploaded by clients directly to the Wufoo survey platform:
- Christopher Stone, Ibiza, SpainTuesday, November 06, 2018Perfect English. Complete understanding of the problem. Hints and tips. A great help.
- David W Baker, MalagaTuesday, November 06, 2018We were extremely satisfied with Alvaro: He explained the law to us and gave us a solution to our problem. He could not have been more helpful and we will definitely use him again.
- Thom Koller, LondonMonday, November 05, 2018Francisca provided a perfect service!
She is professional, dedicated and took care to understand the needs of my situation. Her service offers exceptional value for money and gives complete peace o...f mind.
- Michael O'Sullivan, IbizaThursday, November 01, 2018Understanding Spanish law regarding buying and selling properties is a minefield for English speakers. Cristina provided the legal expertise, the translation of legal documents, explanations for all i...ssues, and solutions for our challenges.
Also, she provides confidence and reassurance that what we are doing is in our best interests and within the law - very important when working in a foreign country.
In summary, she is an excellent professional that we are so pleased we found and will continue to use for all our legal matters.
I think you have a perfect solution for supporting people abroad. I was lucky to find you on the internet. Perhaps you could promote your services to all estate agents abroad, so more people can get access to your service when buying or selling abroad.
- Colin Wilson, AustraliaTuesday, October 30, 2018Overall it was great. Rosa always answered all questions asked and provided clear, concise and well explained answers.
When there was a delay in responding she did offer an apology which was appre...ciated. Rosa always instilled a sense of confidence that she knew exactly what was going on, what I was asking, and what the applicable law was.
When not a Spanish local and dealing with her remotely, this provided great comfort in a sensitive matter.
- Mohammed Muzamil Husain, Riyadh Saudia ArabiaWednesday, October 24, 2018My lawyer Joao was extremely helpful and I was very satisfied with the outcome. I would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Campbell Reynolds, SpainMonday, October 22, 2018We were very satisfied with the service provided by our lawyer Sabela.
She was very accomodating, quick response to everything while thinking outside the box for solutions. Also, her English was mo...re or less fluent.
- Tony Rothero, United KingdomMonday, October 22, 2018My lawyer Luis was bilingual and I was very satisfied with the service provided, particularly his prompt replies. He was very efficient.
- David Edwards, EnglandWednesday, October 17, 2018Very Satisfied with the service provided by Oliver. He was quick, efficient and value for money. Would definitely recommend to friends.
- Andrew Morecroft, LubrinMonday, October 15, 2018Juan was extremely helpful during every part of the purchase. As I was buying an older property there were slight complications but Juan explained every issue and managed to work through the difficult...ies with supreme efficiency.
Also there was a ridiculous situation with my Spanish bank account where I could not access the money even though it was in the account. Thankfully I had given Juan power of attorney and he managed to sort-out the problem.
He went above and beyond the call of duty and I am very grateful for all his help. I would strongly recommend him to anyone looking to buy in the Almeria region.
- Brian Abram, TotanaSaturday, October 13, 2018Excellent service around super quick and a good price: 5*.
- Manoochehr Jafari-Nahad, UAESaturday, October 13, 2018Jose-Antonio was extremely helpful and prompt and also it was helpful that he could be contacted via social media like Whatsapp
- Michele Jansen van Vuuren, BenajarafeSaturday, October 13, 2018Alvaro was extremely helpful, he couldn't have done more. Very quick to respond to my query.
Only issue was that some of the documents I needed to provide were not mentioned. However, would defini...tely recommend his services to friends.
- John Fraser Dunfield, San FranciscoFriday, October 12, 2018Good understanding. Applied sufficient pressure as needed to get the issue resolved. Reasonable charge for service provided. Would definitely recommend this service to friends.
- Rosemarie Byrne and John Cooper, Dublin IrelandcoupleTuesday, October 09, 2018We found Francisca extremely helpful with a great amount of knowledge about buying a house and re-locating to Spain.
- Jane Evanson, London, UKfemaleTuesday, October 09, 2018Francisco was very helpful and professional. I was very happy with the advice and service.
- David McChesney, Puerto BanusWednesday, October 03, 2018Alvaro was very professional, Knowledgeable of the subject at hand, did not over-charge - in fact cut costs in the best way for me. Very efficient in the entire process. Thank you.
- Martha Kimes, Scottsdale, Arizona USAfemaleTuesday, October 02, 2018Francisco was incredibly responsive (and quickly).
Unlike American attorneys (and I know, because I am one), he didn't even bill me for a few follow-up emails/calls that he made on my behalf which... he easily could have done.
I was supremely happy with his legal services.
- David Roots, EnglandMonday, October 01, 2018We were very satisfied with the service we received. Rosa dealt with the matter in hand promptly and efficiently.
- Mrs Ruth Rettie, AustraliafemaleMonday, October 01, 2018We found Teresa to be very helpful , supplied useful information regarding getting our Fiscal number, and about getting help with purchasing a property in Portugal.
- David Knors, BarcelonaWednesday, September 26, 2018Oscar was very kind, professional and fair. He was able to help me with my problem and he was very determined that he would.
Oscar is very competent, polite and showed a lot of effort to solve my ...problem. I strongly recommend him.
- Arthur Goulooze, Albufeira / AmstelveenTuesday, September 25, 2018Luis was very professional , did a lot of efforts , called us many times, so very approachable and really value for money! I would not know what he could do any better!
- Tauri, EstoniafemaleTuesday, September 25, 2018Very satisfied with the service. Francisco is bilingual English-Spanish and was always quick to respond and was very professional at all times.
- Mohamed kheder, Dublin, IrelandMonday, September 24, 2018Every thing was great ... Rosa was really helpful and understanding. And I see the value for money was good enough.. of course I would recommend it to any of my friends.
And I would like to have th...e chance to thank Rosa and the whole company for everything.
- Ritchie Ross-Forrester, LondonMonday, September 24, 2018Kubra was fantastic.
She immediately started to communicate with me via WhatsApp which was very helpful and I could speak to over the phone to get updates any time. This was a massive contrast to o...ther lawyers I spoke to in Turkey.
I instantly felt that I could trust her and would recommend her services to anyone. I will be keeping her details very close to hand.
- Daniel Elias, New YorkTuesday, September 18, 2018Excellent service, delivered exactly as promised, and at half the cost a different translator had requested for the same project!
- Darren & Gemma Nesbitt, ValenciaTuesday, September 11, 2018Inmaculada has been of excellent service to us, as a family and in helping to set up a business in Spain. She has now undertaking several project for us and has delivered high quality on all of them. ...Perfect service!
- Patsy Valentin, GranadaTuesday, September 11, 2018Extremely accommodating and highly professional and very pro active. Excellent result and service. Highly recommended.
- Jovie, MalagaWednesday, September 05, 2018My lawyer Alvaro was extremely helpful and very efficient. I would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Albert Roldan, FranceTuesday, September 04, 2018Alfonso was extremely helpful, particularly since we requested a quick turnaround for the 18 documents needing to be translated from English and French to Spanish.
He was fluent in our phone conver...sations and email correspondence, he never misunderstood what our requirements were. He was was clear in explaining how this process works and what the price included.
I would highly recommend him to anyone needing these services.