An Overview Of Inheritance Tax in Spain
In Spain it is a standard practice to apply the law of a person’s nationality to any wills made with regard to their Spanish assets.
However, this does not mean that inheritance tax is also determined in this way. Spanish inheritance tax must be paid in Spain where Spanish assets are involved.
It is therefore important to understand how these laws operate as they can have a serious economic impact on a family’s wealth.
This can be important where for example a beneficiary wishes to sell an asset. In order to do so, the beneficiary will need to demonstrate proof of payment of due taxes before being able to pass good title.
How Is Spanish Inheritance Tax Applied?
Inheritance tax is payable on all bequests of assets including :
- bonds, and
- any cash paid out by the maturity of a life insurance policy
The amount payable is the net amount after deductible costs and charges. Admissible costs and charges would include:
- Social Security Debts,
- Tax Debts,
- Outstanding Mortgage Debt,
- Health Care Expenses,
- Funeral Costs
Not included would be debts owed to any of the beneficiaries even though they chose to turn down the bequest.
Factors That Determine Spanish Inheritance Tax
The first major difference between Spanish inheritance tax and elsewhere is that in Spain the tax payable is determined with reference to the heir or beneficiary rather than merely considering the size of the estate itself.
Whereas in the UK inheritance tax is only payable where the threshold (currently £325,000) is exceeded and there is no need to consider any other factor if the estate is valued below this, in Spain the following factors are important:
- Tax Rates,
- The Wealth of the Beneficiary
- The proximity of the relation of the beneficiary to the deceased,
- Funeral Costs
It should be pointed out that, at a state level, no exemption exists for spouses as is the case in other countries. A couple would often be considered to own half of a property each. Upon the death of one of the spouses the surviving spouse is considered to have inherited the other half (if this is provided for in the will).
Tax Exemptions At State Level
Inheritance tax has been effectively delegated by the central government to the autonomous communities in Spain which has allowed the regional governments to set the exemptions that can be claimed by beneficiaries.
Previously, many of the Spanish regions enacted legislation which required residency in the region before beneficiaries might benefit from the exemptions. This situation has now changed, finally allowing foreign EU citizens to benefit from the same generous deductions previously only available to local residents. For an overview of the regional tax exemptions available view the relevant section under Spanish Inheritance Law by Region.
However, non-EU citizens must continue to avail of the less generous ‘state level’ tax deductions. Below is an overview:
Before looking at the regional exemptions we can look at the exemptions available from the central government and which apply regardless of whether resident or not. For transfer of assets via inheritance, the following exemptions apply:
For the purposes of determining the proximity of a relationship to the deceased, the legislation dealing with Gift and Inheritance Tax in Spain (Ley 29/1987) considers there to be four categories or groups:
Group I – Children, including adopted children, under the age of 21
Group II – All other children, spouses and parents
Group III – close relatives such as brothers and sisters, grandparents, aunts and uncles
Group IV – more distant relatives
A 16 year old child who inherits from her parents falls into Group I and so may claim an exemption of
€15,956.87 + (€3,990.72 * 5) = €19,953.60 to give a total exemption of €35,910.47.
A number of other exemptions exist at the state level. These include:
In addition to the above exemptions, should any beneficiary be disabled, further exemptions ranging between €47,858.59 and €150,253.03 are available.
Life Insurance Policies
If the deceased took out a life insurance policy in favour of a beneficiary there is an exemption up to the value of €9,159.49 where the beneficiary is a spouse, child or parent.
The Family Home
An exemption also exists for tax payable on the permanent or habitual residence. This exemption applies equally to spouses, children and parents of the deceased at a rate of 95% of the value of their inherited portion of the property up to a maximum value of €122,606.47 each.
An important proviso exists in that the property may not be sold for a period of 10 years after the inheritance.
Other relatives further removed, may also benefit from this exemption but must have been living with the deceased in the property for a period of at least two years prior to the date of death.
The Spanish regional governments’ inheritance tax deductions tend to me more generous than the state level deductions. For example there are often almost 100% deductions available to spouses and children ,relating to the the primary family home and businesses. For an overview of the regional tax exemptions available view the relevant section under Spanish Inheritance Law by Region.
Client reviews of our legal services, as uploaded by clients directly to the Wufoo survey platform:
- Jason Yorke, United KingdomThursday, July 19, 2018Beatriz was really helpful and always kept me informed at all stages. She is very professional and a pleasure to deal with.
- Mr David P Robson, ValanciaThursday, July 12, 2018My lawyer Francisca offered value for money and was very helpful. Will use her again.
- Richard Day, London and BarcelonaThursday, July 05, 2018My initial call to your service desk was responded to by Oscar very quickly.
I appreciated his time as I outlined my issue, a problem with the building community and administrators. At the end of ...the call he provided clear guidance on next steps.
Furthermore he quickly turned around the issue with an excellent drafted response for which I could not of hoped to be better worded. It was comprehensive and aligned perfectly with what I felt was needed.
Excellent value for money and most definitely I would highly recommend Oscar.
- Søren Aabel Hammer, MalagaThursday, July 05, 2018Beatriz was professional and quick to respond. Would definitely recommend to friends.
- Patrick Crean, AlmerimarThursday, July 05, 2018Juan was fantastic. Very easy to understand and very pleasant. I would definitely use his service again.
- Damien Stephan, BenidormThursday, July 05, 2018The whole process from start to finish was straightforward and well explained. I honestly cannot recommend them enough!
They really went out of their way to be helpful and kept me up to date at ev...ery opportunity. Excellent value for money from some really nice and genuine people. True professionals.
Wouldn’t hesitate to use again in the future.
- Claire, FuengirolaWednesday, July 04, 2018Alvaro assisted me during my experience at advocate abroad, and he was so kind. He answered any questions I had, and made me feel completely at ease.
I knew I was in the hands of a professional. H...e could not have done more to help me.
- Paul and Joyce Rose, Mijas, MalagaWednesday, July 04, 2018Extremely helpful and very professional. Will definitely use Alvaro next time we require legal advice.
- Nigel Whinnett, Esher, UKWednesday, July 04, 2018Professional, friendly, efficient service, good value, a pleasure to use the services of the lawyer and his team. In depth knowledge of the relevant laws, taxes etc.
Would highly recommend and use ...again.
- Claire O'Gara, FuengirolaWednesday, June 27, 2018I liked Alvaroós enthusiasm, and the great level of customer service. He always answered my questions thoroughly.
- Mrs Susan Vickery, Silves, PortugalTuesday, June 26, 2018Good advice, very helpful and fast. Would definitely recommend Luis to friends.
- Niall Purdie, BarcelonaMonday, June 25, 2018Anna helped me purchasing my house, she was knowledgeable and professional throughout. I would recommend using her legal services.
- Kartik, ParisFriday, June 22, 2018Very satisfied with the service provided by Marianne. She speaks English fluently and she was very quick, comprehensive and clear in answering all the questions.
- David Stack, Lliria, SpainThursday, June 21, 2018Francisca was extremely helpful. She made the whole process easy to understand. I would definitely recommend her service to friends.
- Susanna Buckley, United KingdomWednesday, June 20, 2018Lidia is very approachable and friendly and I never felt that anything was a problem.
She was also very sympathetic to my situation (my mother had passed away) and supportive. As soon as she was c...ontracted, she acted quickly to sort things out so that I could return home to the UK as soon as possible.
She always tried her best to answer any questions very quickly and promptly and matters proceeded without too much worry on my part.
- Wendy Dickson, MarbellaTuesday, June 19, 2018It was all done very quick. Very good value for money. How easy it all was to communicate via email.
- Peter & Anita Bradshaw, Leeds, EnglandMonday, June 18, 2018We could not be more happy with the service we received from Jaime.
He responded immediately to our enquiry and it was clear from the outset that he fully understood our position. It was vital tha...t Jaime acted quickly in this matter and he did so in a highly professional and competent manner, providing us with clear and concise updates throughout.
We found Jaime to be very polite and approachable and we believe his fees to be very reasonable. We would genuinely not hesitate to recommend his services.
Before contacting Jaime, our previous experiences of Spanish Lawyers had been appalling - in fact we needed Jaime's help to resolve issues which previous Lawyers had created. Our only regret is not finding Jaime sooner!
Thanks so much for all your help Jaime.
- Dion Nash, AlgarveTuesday, June 05, 2018Our lawyer Luis is bilingual, and was extremely helpful. We received very good service - Luis did everything needed to help me with my case. I would definitely recommend him to friends.
- Jan Neate, NerjaWednesday, May 30, 2018Very satisfied with the service provided by Beatriz. She extremely helpful and spoke more or less fluent English. We would definitely recommend her to friends.
- Serena Bhatia, LondonWednesday, May 30, 2018Anna has been nothing but helpful in providing information, sound advice and genuine care, My fiancé and I adore her! She is timely, professional and extremely knowledgeable about world wide law.
- Ronald Peter Downs, SpainTuesday, May 29, 2018A lady staff member took us under her wing and managed to sort out my residency. Overall no complaints.
- Tracey and Mike Iliffe Bradley, Colchester, United KingdomTuesday, May 29, 2018From our very first contact through to the end of our purchase, Rosa surpassed all expectations.
She was helpful, efficient, always quick to return our communications and a pleasure to deal with. ...We have already recommended her services to a friend.
- Cheryl, SevilleMonday, May 28, 2018Miguel was helpful and kind. We will use his service in the future.
- Ken & Margaret, TorreviejaThursday, May 24, 2018Pedro was extremely helpful, he couldn't have done more. We would definitely recommend his services to friends.
- Rl, AlicanteThursday, May 24, 2018Felt very comfortable at all times. Nothing was too much. Understood everything mentioned in our meeting. Very reasonable rate, money wise.
- KL, Valencia, SpainWednesday, May 23, 2018Inma is easy to talk to, is prompt in replying to emails, is helpful and above all achieved the solution I wanted.
- MF, LanzaroteMonday, May 21, 2018My lawyer Cristina was extremely understanding , friendly and reassuring. With Cristina on my side, it gave me confidence to continue.
- RA, ParisFriday, May 18, 2018The service I needed wasn't complex, just verification of documents, but the service was rapid, friendly and exactly what I needed.My lawyer Julia was bilingual.
- Sham Naib, Callao Salvaje, TenerifeFriday, May 18, 2018My lawyer Oliver was very helpful, always happy to assist. He professionally checked the law before dispensing advice.
- Smith, FranceFriday, May 18, 2018Caroline is bilingual and was very helpful throughout. There is nothing I would suggest to improve. I was very happy with the service and would definitely recommend to friends.