Contact in Germany
UK: 0800 098 8033
US: +1 415 651 8449

Work Visa with offer of Employment in Germany

Ensure your peace of mind - browse client testimonials before selecting a immigration lawyer in Germany.
Client testimonials

"My lawyer francisco was extremely helpful, he couldn't have done more."

Nathalie Haumont (Sep 12, 2019)
Established more than
10 years ago
Present in 20
European Countries
Over 30,000 client enquiries
successfully managed

Service Details

Work Visa with offer of Employment

Available in the following locations: Bonn.

* If your local town is not listed, a lawyer from our nearest office will be happy to assist you.


1Who is this service for?

In general non-EU citizens are not permitted to work in Germany, but of course, exceptions exist. Indeed there have been legislative changes to facilitate the employment of skilled non-eu national (German Skilled Immigration Act, 2020).


Suitably qualified individuals may enter and stay in Germany for a period of 6 months while searching for employment.

The qualification must be recognised by the appropriate body in Germany.

You should have sufficient funds to support yourself for 6 months and speak German at a B1 level (CEFRL). You can work for a maximum of 10 hours per week during this period.


EU Blue Card Scheme

Alternatively, an EU scheme – known as the EU Blue Card – permits those with sufficiently advanced academic qualifications or work experience to apply for and receive a visa permitting them to live and work in Germany. A firm offer of employment is a requirement.

Other limitations include the fact that the salary offered must be a minimum of €56,800 per annum for those who are offered a job based on their university qualification or, if filling a job for which there are insufficient local workers, the salary should be at least €44,304.


Alternatively, you will need an offer of employment in order to be able to get a work visa in Germany. Non-EU citizens - including British citizens following Brexit - must obtain a D-visa in order to be able to stay and work in Germany.

However, there is a slight difference in the process for those who are citizens of the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Japan or South Korea, since if you are a citizen of one of these countries, you will not need to first obtain a Visa from the German consulate in your home country.

Once you are in Germany, you must apply for a residence permit at the "Ausländerbehörde" - or local immigration office - within the first 90 days of arrival in Germany. Please note, that you will not be able to accept an offer of employment until you have received your residence permit.

So, if you wish to start work as soon as you arrive in Germany, you will want to arrange for a Visa from the German consulate before you arrive, regardless of which country you are a citizen of.

The duration of your residency permit is determined by the length of the employment contract that you have been offered. The time it takes to obtain the visa will depend on workload, but expect it to take anywhere between one and three months.

4What does this service consist of?

  • An initial discussion with lawyers highly experienced in making successful applications for residency and work visas based on either the EU Blue Card scheme or the filling of a job for which it is not possible to find suitable candidates in Germany/EU
  • Assistance and advice on the documentation required and completing and submitting the forms before stipulated deadlines to ensure the application is approved
  • Advice and assistance with applications on behalf of the worker’s spouse and family (if required)
  • Assistance upon arrival with obtaining foreign residency cards
Support services

5Free Support Services Included

When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers abroad.These support services include:

  • Verification of the regulatory status of your professional.
  • Fees as recommended by the Local Professional Body
  • Fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
  • Service levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
  • All professionals must hold professional indemnity insurance.
  • Professionals' proficiency in English monitored.
  • Continuous quality controls and reviews.

Why choose Advocate Abroad? Message