- AnnaAnna has more than 15 years of legal practice with international clients. A certified lawyer in the Bar Association of Barcelona, Anna specializes in Property Law, setting up new business/branches for foreign entities as well as associated immigration matters (residence permits and visas).
- HelenHelen has been registered with the Barcelona Law Society for the past 12 years. Helen specializes in Litigation (debt recovery, breach of contract, liability and corporate conflicts etc.), Family Law and Property Law (buying and selling property, property conflicts etc.) where she balances her legal commitments with global conferences and teaching. In addition to Spanish and Catalan, Helen is also fluent in English and Italian.
- RaffaeleRaffaele is a registered lawyer in Barcelona who speaks perfect English, Spanish and Italian. He is an expert in intellectual property, commercial law, property law (buying and selling property), civil law, procedural law, fiscal matters and providing extrajudicial legal advice.
Below is a list of recent client testimonials received from previous clients, obtained via Wufoo client survey platform:
- Tamara Reeves, AustraliaThursday, February 15, 2018Anna was very knowledgeable and had prior experience dealing with English clients. She spent a lot of time explaining information and I was never rushed.
I have continued to use Anna since my firs...t meeting as I trust her judgement and know that she will look after my best interests.
- Alan Villarreal, BanyolesFriday, December 15, 2017Very satisfied with Anna's work. She is bilingual and was extremely helpful. Will definitely use her services in the future.
- Anthony Bennett, BarcelonaThursday, October 19, 2017Anna provided the best possible solution for me in my situation, and helped out as much as she possibly could. I would recommend her services to anybody seeking legal or financial advice.
- Aaron L, OregonWednesday, August 02, 2017Very satisfied with the service provided. Helen was knowledgeable, helpful and responsive to communication. Will definitely use again.
- SD, BarcelonaWednesday, July 26, 2017Helen was very helpful and willing to follow the requirements of my home country (where the documents are needed) even when they differed to the usual requirements in Spain.
- Doreen Moodie, St Carlas de la RápitaTuesday, May 16, 2017I liked the fact that the channel between us was always open and that I could contact her for clarification if needed.
The level of service was as I would have expected from a lawyer of this calibr...e and I can truly say that I did receive value for money. I would have no hesitation in recommending Anna to potential clients.
- COL, BarcelonaTuesday, May 09, 2017Excellent service. Helen was efficient, helpful and approachable.
My initial online query was answered almost immediately which is vital if you seek legal advice.
I would certainly recommend Hel...en.
- Amy Wahba, BarcelonaMonday, March 06, 2017She was understanding and tried to maintain positive always even when doors closed in our face. She is always smiling and tried to find solutions to my problems which kept me always at rest.
- Robert Toth, IrelandThursday, February 09, 2017Anna was very, very helpful, always happy to assist and also approachable and professional. I was very satisfied with the legal services.
- Saeid Aboutalebian, IranWednesday, February 08, 2017Everything is good about Anna. She is very friendly. And I definitely would use the same lawyer again in the future.
- Maria Todorof, TrierTuesday, January 24, 2017I was extremely impressed by Helen’s professionalism, integrity and willingness to go above and beyond in order to protect her client’s interest.
Me and my son are both lawyers and so we apprec...iate fully how good she is. Helen’s handling of the case and legal research has been truly top notch. I couldn’t be happier and will definitely rely on her if I ever need legal assistance in Spain again.
- Antonina Hales, ZaragozaTuesday, September 22, 2015We contacted this law firm on several occasions with different questions (immigration, work contracts, rent of property, purchase of property) and they could always give us a thorough answer to our qu...estions.
The lawyers provided us all necessary information and helped us to choose the best solution. They were very attentive and helpful. As we don’t speak Spanish, they accompanied us to all government offices.
- Neil Webster, The Ninja Corporation UKFriday, June 19, 2015Very helpful and quick to respond to our requests and processes everything very efficiently. We would definitely use this law firm’s service again.
- SBH, Calonge, Costa BravaWednesday, May 06, 2015Friendly and very efficient.. Took care and attention to my requests and worked in my best interests. Very good value for money.
I felt that I could trust my lawyer which is very important to every...one. I am extremely happy to have chosen him and would definitely want to use his services again should I need to.
- Eldina Sator Sahinovic, Sydney, AustraliaMonday, November 17, 2014I am very satisfied with the services provided. The firm was very responsive and dealt with my issue very capably.
The legal solutions provided were very suitable and exactly what I was looking for..., further the lawyer was very approachable and friendly. I would definitely use this lawyer again.
- Oliver Clarke, DubaiThursday, September 04, 2014Our lawyer was bilingual and extremely helpful – he couldn’t have done more for us. We were very satisfied with the service provided and would definitely use this lawyer again in the future.
- Trevor Taylor, EnglandFriday, August 22, 2014I thought my case would be tricky and I on my own would never have completed without him. He was a star. I have recommended him to some friends of mine who want to sell their business.
As for value... for money, he was spot on, and very approachable. Full marks from me.
We aim to provide a friendly and efficient service to guide you through a difficult time for any family. Typically our clients ask us to manage the entire process, from the drafting of wills through to the registration of Spanish assets in the names of the beneficiaries at the relevant time, thereby providing a much needed relief from the legal and administrative process in Spain.
What are the benefits of making a Will in Spain?
Making a Will in Spain that deals with your Spanish assets ensures that your wishes regarding those assets are complied with and avoids the possibility that Spanish law would apply.
A Spanish Will avoids the need for time-consuming legalisation and translation of English documents that could delay payment of inheritance taxes and incur punitive fines. All of the above means that your heirs are able to manage the inherited estate at a lower cost and in a much more straight-forward manner.
What should be included in a Spanish will
In order to ensure that your Spanish Will is fit for purpose it should contain a number of clauses:
- The Will should clearly state that it only applies to Spanish assets and not any other.
- Likewise, Wills made in any other country should state that they refer to assets only in that country to avoid any potential confusion as to which Will applies to which assets.
- The Will should declare that the law of succession in your country of origin is governed by the principle of free and unfettered disposition of private property and assets.
The process for making a will in Spain
The process for making a Will is relatively straightforward:
- Discuss how you wish your assets to be distributed with a lawyer in Spain
- The lawyer will write the content of the Will in accordance with your wishes
- The Will is then formally drawn-up by a public notary,
- An appointment is made with the notary to sign the Will
- The notary will provide you with a copy and notify the central civil registy office of the existence of the Will.
What should you avoid?
You should avoid any Will-writing service that does not provide you with a professional draughtsman.
While there is relative freedom of disposition of assets in Anglo-Saxon legal systems, for a Spanish Will to be effective it must comply with Spanish procedure. This means that it will need to be drawn-up by a notary and should therefore be written in Spanish in order to avoid confusion.
An English-speaking lawyer will be able to advise you on this as well as more complex issues such as the validity of trusts in Spain which could cause problems in certain cases.
Would you like your will to be drawn-up in the most tax-friendly manner?
There are a number of ways that you can minimise the costs of an inheritance and these are incorporated into our Will-making service. The features of the service are as follows:
- You provide the lawyers with the details of the assets that you have in Spain as well as your wishes with regard to how they should be distributed.
- According to your wishes, your Will shall be drawn-up in such a way as to minimise any Succession tax liability in Spain.
- You will be provided with an estimate of the inheritance tax liability so that you can determine in advance whether the Will meets your requirements.
- The Will is drafted in both Spanish and English so that you can confirm that it conforms to your intentions
- The Will is drawn-up in the office of a public notary convenient to you.
- An appointment is made with the public notary to sign the Will and you will receive an official copy while another copy is sent to the central Wills registry in Madrid.
Code of Reasonable Fees
While this law firm is particularly suitable for managing Probate related issues faced by non-residents with assets in Spain, clients will not face elevated charges or fees as a result. Our clients can expect to receive a quotation that is at or below the recommended guideline prices by the Law Society of Barcelona.
Free Support Services Included
When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers in Spain. These support services include:
- Verification of the regulatory status of your lawyer.
- Fees as recommended by the Spanish Law Societies
- Legal fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
- Services levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
- All lawyers must hold professional indemnity insurance.
- Lawyers’ proficiency in English monitored.
- Continuous quality controls and reviews.