Contact in Spain
Spain: +34 932 20 44 40
UK: 0800 098 8033
US: +1 415 651 8449

Divorce with mortgage: addition to the cost of splitting-up in Spain

An all too common problem faced by many separating couples in Spain today is: how to deal with a property should the relationship ends? It is a cruel twist of fate that the emotional turmoil that many suffer at this time is exacerbated by the fact that the resale value of the property is not sufficient to fully repay the mortgage. So, simply opting to sell the property and splitting the proceeds is often not an option.

Divorce with mortgage: what then is the legal position of a couple who find themselves in this position and what options do they have?


Legal Position

Firstly it should be understood that when a couple sign a mortgage agreement each person becomes individually and severally liable for the repayment of the mortgage. The term ‘individually and severally liable’ means that both partners are liable for the entire mortgage. To illustrate the point, in an extreme case, should either die (and in the absence of mortgage protection insurance), the other becomes liable for repayment of the entire mortgage. One-half of the liability to repay the mortgage does not end with the demise of the other mortgagee. While this may seem unfair it is considered a necessity by the banks before lending to a couple.

Legal Options after divorce with mortgage

So, given this illustration of the legal framework, what happens if one of the joint mortgagees is no longer able to – or simply decides that he or she no longer wishes to – contribute to the mortgage repayments?

In fact this problem does arise not infrequently, for example when a relationship breaks-up due to infidelity and one partner leaves the home to begin a relationship with another person. It can be the case that the partner who has left the home is unable or unwilling to continue contributing to a mortgage in a property in which they no longer live.

Whatever the reason for the ending of a relationship there are a number of options available with regard to the continuing liability for repayment of a bank loan on a property in Spain. If there is no possibility of reconciliation, the couple have the following options:

Take on the responsibility for the other’s share of the mortgage

While perhaps the ‘ideal’ solution, this will typically require that partner to ‘subrogate’ the other partner’s half of the mortgage. This will mean that the bank or other financial institution that initially granted the mortgage must agree to this. The bank will carry-out the same analysis as they did at the time that the original mortgage was granted and will be most concerned that the income of the partner wishing to take over the entire mortgage is sufficient to cover the repayments.

Another version of this solution would be to have a third party take over the other half of the mortgage. This could be a friend or relative of the partner staying in the property. However, if the bank refuses to approve the subrogation then the situation becomes similar to where…


One partner assumes responsibility for all repayments

When one of the spouses/partners simply leaves the other partner in the lurch so-to-speak and the party left behind has to assume responsibility for all of the repayments. In this case, the partner making all of the repayments will at least be entitled to an equitable share of the party equivalent to the additional repayments that they make. This does not mean that they own the entire property since the partner who left will still be entitled to a proportion of the equity equal to the contributions that they have made. However, at least the additional mortgage payments made are not ‘lost’ but rather they may be added together and reflected in the ownership of the property.

Should you wish to sell the property, it should be borne in mind that it will be necessary to obtain the approval of the other partner. For this reason, at some point it is necessary to reach a legal agreement with the other partner which may even recognise that partner’s equity in the property.


One partner formally cedes their share in the property and the other takes responsibility for repayment of the entire mortgage

This can be quite common in cases of divorce where the bank refuses the subrogation of the mortgage and in the divorce agreement one partner ‘cedes’ their share to the other. This option is often tempting when the desire remains for a complete and absolute split. However it is not to be recommended since the partner ceding their share of the property will continue to be liable for repayment of the mortgage as far as the bank and, more importantly, as far as the law is concerned. Should the partner who remains in the property default on repayments, the partner who has cedes their interest will still be liable for repayment of the whole mortgage.

Sell the property

Another option is to sell the property to a third party and agree to either split the proceeds or, as is possibly more likely, to agree to continue to be jointly liable for any outstanding balance. Possibly the least attractive option since no-one wants to have to pay a debt with no discernible benefit.

Rent the property to a third party

Depending on the rental values in the area, renting the property to a third party may be an option that covers, or almost covers, the mortgage repayment costs. In this way any financial benefit that may be obtained from the property is equally shared. It may be the case that renting the property for a number of years enables the mortgage to be repaid in full and the property can then be sold and the proceeds shared.

Default for divorce with mortgage

The final option is to default on the mortgage. It is possibly the worst of all options since the bank will charge in full for the entire repossession procedure including legal and auctioneers fees and this will be added to the bill. It may of course be that there is no option if either or both of the spouses/partners do not have a sufficient income to meet the mortgage repayments jointly or separately and are unwilling or unable to agree to any other option. It will often take the bank a not inconsiderable amount of time to arrange the repossession and eviction proceedings where necessary. It should be borne in mind that the financial liability travels with you in this case and can be enforced in other European countries via a European Enforcement Order.


This divorce with mortgage situation outlined above is quite common nowadays and what is clear that the best results are going to be obtained where the spouses/partners are able to maintain a good level of communication and cooperation so as to manage the property asset in a way that minimises any financial loss. What is clear is that those who stick their heads in the sands and avoid discussing the matter with their ex-partners are really only building-up a bigger financial headache at a later date.

You may be interested in the following service...

Client testimonials

"My lawyer was very helpful and went above and beyond to try to help me in my situation as I needed it to happen as fast as possible. Even whilst he was on holiday he was in touch and made things happen. would definitely recommend!"

Tina Shiels (Sep 06, 2019)


Available in the following locations: Alicante, Arrecife, Barcelona, Benidorm, Cadiz, Castellon, El Campello, Estepona, Fuengirola, Gandia, Girona, Granada, Jaen, L`Eliana, La Manga del Mar Menor, Las Palmas, Los Alcázares, Los Cristianos, Madrid, Maspalomas, Mazarron, Murcia, Nerja, Orihuela Costa, Oviedo, Palma de Mallorca, Puerto del Rosario, Puzol, Seville, Torrevieja, Valencia, Velez Malaga, Vera, Vigo.

* If your local town is not listed, a lawyer from our nearest office will be happy to assist you.


1Who is this Service for?

For anyone who wishes to initiate, or who needs to respond to, divorce proceedings or other family law proceedings including separation and annulment.

2What does this service consist of?

  • Initial discussion with a specialist lawyer to understand the current position and options for next steps
  • If initiating divorce proceedings, possibility to refer case to an Advocate Abroad solicitor registered by the Law Societies in the UK to provide consultation on whether divorce proceedings may take place in the UK
  • If proceedings in UK not possible or desired, filing of the divorce petition to the local Courts or formal legal response if responding to a petition for divorce in the local Courts
  • Certificate of English law arranged if applying English-law to the foreign divorce proceedings
  • Negotiation of all terms of the divorce settlement
  • Drafting/Review of the divorce agreement
  • Division and distribution of Matrimonial Assets
Support services

3Free Support Services Included

When combined with the free and innovative Advocate Abroad support services you can be sure that you are obtaining completely transparent legal services from registered and regulated English-speaking lawyers abroad.These support services include:

  • Verification of the regulatory status of your professional.
  • Fees as recommended by the Local Professional Body
  • Fees specified in advance and legally guaranteed.
  • Service levels agreed in advance and guaranteed.
  • All professionals must hold professional indemnity insurance.
  • Professionals' proficiency in English monitored.
  • Continuous quality controls and reviews.

Why choose Advocate Abroad? Message
Established more than
10 years ago
Present in 20
European Countries
Over 30,000 client enquiries
successfully managed